Apr 9, 2012, 9:56 AM EDT
“I have no clue who’s gonna start, absolutely none,” Leyland said Sunday morning. “Villarreal has joined the team and we will have a starter at the appropriate time. Who it is, I have no clue. None.”
That may be disconcerting to Tigers fans, but really, you have to figure that Leyland has some idea, right? I mean if Eric Wedge said something like that it might be cause for concern, but Leyland is on it. Right? Hopefully?
As Jason Beck notes in the linked blog post, there are a number of internal candidates and there is always the option for a trade. Or signing Roy Oswalt, which I think will be mentioned by everyone every single time a team loses a starter this year.
It seems to me, though, that the Tigers are gonna have a bigger margin of error than anyone this season, so going with a minor league arm — or a carousel of them — is probably the best first step.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 6
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)