Apr 9, 2012, 9:56 AM EDT
“I have no clue who’s gonna start, absolutely none,” Leyland said Sunday morning. “Villarreal has joined the team and we will have a starter at the appropriate time. Who it is, I have no clue. None.”
That may be disconcerting to Tigers fans, but really, you have to figure that Leyland has some idea, right? I mean if Eric Wedge said something like that it might be cause for concern, but Leyland is on it. Right? Hopefully?
As Jason Beck notes in the linked blog post, there are a number of internal candidates and there is always the option for a trade. Or signing Roy Oswalt, which I think will be mentioned by everyone every single time a team loses a starter this year.
It seems to me, though, that the Tigers are gonna have a bigger margin of error than anyone this season, so going with a minor league arm — or a carousel of them — is probably the best first step.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 6
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (155)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)