Apr 9, 2012, 10:36 PM EDT
Yu Darvish‘s major league debut didn’t go exactly as planned tonight against the Mariners, but he certainly showed flashes of why the Rangers broke the bank to bring him into the fold.
In what was likely a case of the nerves, Darvish allowed four runs on four hits and three walks in a 42-pitch first inning. The runs scored on a couple of bloop singles and a bases-loaded walk. While he didn’t look long for this one initially, the Japanese right-hander recovered quite nicely from there, allowing one run over his final 4 2/3 innings before being pulled after 110 pitches.
All told, Darvish gave up five runs on eight hits over 5 2/3 innings while striking out five and walking four. He also hit a batter and threw a wild pitch. Not the prettiest line, but he showed good velocity and retired 10 in a row at one point before walking Dustin Ackley with two out in the top of the sixth. He was finally pulled after giving up a single to Ichiro Suzuki, who went 3-for-4 against him on the night.
Fortunately for Darvish, the Rangers’ offense really picked him up tonight, scoring eight runs over the first four innings. He could actually walk away from his first major league start with a victory.
UPDATE: Darvish got the win, as the Rangers topped the Mariners 11-5.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)