Apr 10, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
Brandon Inge‘s groin injury is healed enough that he’s scheduled to begin a minor-league rehab assignment tonight at Triple-A.
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Inge will serve as Toledo’s designated hitter tonight before moving to second base Wednesday and Thursday, at which point he might be cleared to come off the disabled list.
Inge is eligible to return Saturday because his DL stint was backdated and with Miguel Cabrera moved to third base his best chance for regular playing time would be at second base, where Ryan Raburn has started twice and Ramon Santiago and Danny Worth have started once apiece.
Inge, who’s generally been an excellent defensive third baseman, has never played second base in a big-league game. He’s also hit just .227 with a .684 OPS during the past five seasons.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 32
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86