Apr 10, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
Brandon Inge‘s groin injury is healed enough that he’s scheduled to begin a minor-league rehab assignment tonight at Triple-A.
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Inge will serve as Toledo’s designated hitter tonight before moving to second base Wednesday and Thursday, at which point he might be cleared to come off the disabled list.
Inge is eligible to return Saturday because his DL stint was backdated and with Miguel Cabrera moved to third base his best chance for regular playing time would be at second base, where Ryan Raburn has started twice and Ramon Santiago and Danny Worth have started once apiece.
Inge, who’s generally been an excellent defensive third baseman, has never played second base in a big-league game. He’s also hit just .227 with a .684 OPS during the past five seasons.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)