Apr 10, 2012, 9:37 AM EDT
One day, there will no longer be awesome free agents hitting the market in their prime. Because teams keep doing this:
— paul hoynes (@hoynsie) April 10, 2012
That club option in 2017 — call me crazy, but I believe Hoynes made a typo with that 2117 thing — would have been Santana’s first year of free agency. No word on the money yet. There will be a press conference this afternoon.
In his first full season in the majors last year, Santana, who just turned 26, hit .259/.351/.457 with 27 homers. So far this year he’s 4 for 16 with two homers, both coming on Sunday.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)