Apr 10, 2012, 9:37 AM EDT
One day, there will no longer be awesome free agents hitting the market in their prime. Because teams keep doing this:
— paul hoynes (@hoynsie) April 10, 2012
That club option in 2017 — call me crazy, but I believe Hoynes made a typo with that 2117 thing — would have been Santana’s first year of free agency. No word on the money yet. There will be a press conference this afternoon.
In his first full season in the majors last year, Santana, who just turned 26, hit .259/.351/.457 with 27 homers. So far this year he’s 4 for 16 with two homers, both coming on Sunday.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 1
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 38
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 40
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 16
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72