Apr 10, 2012, 9:37 AM EST
One day, there will no longer be awesome free agents hitting the market in their prime. Because teams keep doing this:
— paul hoynes (@hoynsie) April 10, 2012
That club option in 2017 — call me crazy, but I believe Hoynes made a typo with that 2117 thing — would have been Santana’s first year of free agency. No word on the money yet. There will be a press conference this afternoon.
In his first full season in the majors last year, Santana, who just turned 26, hit .259/.351/.457 with 27 homers. So far this year he’s 4 for 16 with two homers, both coming on Sunday.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)