Carlos Santana, Indians agree on a five-year extension

Apr 10, 2012, 9:37 AM EDT

Carlos Santana Getty Getty Images

One day, there will no longer be awesome free agents hitting the market in their prime. Because teams keep doing this:

That club option in 2017 — call me crazy, but I believe Hoynes made a typo with that 2117 thing —  would have been Santana’s first year of free agency. No word on the money yet. There will be a press conference this afternoon.

In his first full season in the majors last year, Santana, who just turned 26,  hit .259/.351/.457 with 27 homers. So far this year he’s 4 for 16 with two homers, both coming on Sunday.

1. runyetirun - Apr 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM

In 105 years when the Indians can exercise that option they are going to look BRILLIANT

• dan1111 - Apr 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM

They were wise not to go to 106 guaranteed years.

• bravojawja - Apr 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I dunno – is it a good idea to pay a catcher into his age 131 season? How many times will his knees have been replaced?

2. dan1111 - Apr 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I think Hoynes got his math wrong. That looks like a 105 year extension to me. The Indians must be expecting both great performance and medical breakthroughs. Perhaps one day, players of a certain age will all undergo Carlos Santana surgery.

3. Utley's Hair - Apr 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the 2117 end date. After all, Jamie Moyer will still be playing, won’t he?

• societichairpelin - Jul 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM

haha…that wouldn’t surprise anybody

4. Gamera the Brave - Apr 10, 2012 at 11:21 AM

After watching yesterday’s Giants game, I have concluded that Zito wants to be Jamie Moyer when he grows up.

5. boh930 - Apr 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Pfft, stupid Cleveland. In 100 years we’ll be playing spaceball, not baseball. Hasn’t anybody from the Indians seen the Jetsons?

6. bigtrav425 - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM

For once the Dolans and tribes front office did something good…now they have to get a few hitters to put around him

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey