Apr 10, 2012, 7:45 PM EDT
Upton suffered the injury Sunday while sliding into second base, trying to break up a double play.
“It’s not too bad,” he told Piecoro on Tuesday, a few hours before first pitch in San Diego. “[But] I went and took some swings and it didn’t feel right.”
It’s not clear whether the 24-year-old will be able to play in Wednesday’s matinee. He’s off to a 2-for-9 start this season after batting .289/.369/.529 with 31 home runs, 88 RBI and 21 stolen bases in 2011.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 11
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 36
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)