Apr 10, 2012, 7:45 PM EST
Upton suffered the injury Sunday while sliding into second base, trying to break up a double play.
“It’s not too bad,” he told Piecoro on Tuesday, a few hours before first pitch in San Diego. “[But] I went and took some swings and it didn’t feel right.”
It’s not clear whether the 24-year-old will be able to play in Wednesday’s matinee. He’s off to a 2-for-9 start this season after batting .289/.369/.529 with 31 home runs, 88 RBI and 21 stolen bases in 2011.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)