Apr 10, 2012, 12:41 AM EDT
Ian Kinsler said last week that he was “disappointed” that a contract extension with the Rangers wouldn’t get done by Opening Day, but the two sides were apparently able to bridge the gap over the past couple of days.
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers and Kinsler have agreed to a five-year extension with an option for a sixth year. An official announcement is expected Tuesday.
Kinsler himself confirmed reports of the deal and added that it’s worth $75 million guaranteed, $5 million of which is a buyout on the option year. The deal kicks in next season, replacing the option year on his existing contract, and will keep him with the club through 2017 and possibly 2018.
Kinsler’s new deal will have an AAV (average annual value) of $15 million per season, which tops Dan Uggla ($12.4 million) for the highest among second baseman. However, it falls just under Chase Utley‘s seven-year, $85 million contract in total value.
Kinsler, a two-time All-Star, owns a .276/.356/.470 batting line in the big leagues. The 29-year-old appeared in a career-high 155 games last season while batting .255/.355/.477 with 32 homers, 77 RBI, 30 stolen bases and an .832 OPS.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)