Apr 10, 2012, 12:41 AM EDT
Ian Kinsler said last week that he was “disappointed” that a contract extension with the Rangers wouldn’t get done by Opening Day, but the two sides were apparently able to bridge the gap over the past couple of days.
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers and Kinsler have agreed to a five-year extension with an option for a sixth year. An official announcement is expected Tuesday.
Kinsler himself confirmed reports of the deal and added that it’s worth $75 million guaranteed, $5 million of which is a buyout on the option year. The deal kicks in next season, replacing the option year on his existing contract, and will keep him with the club through 2017 and possibly 2018.
Kinsler’s new deal will have an AAV (average annual value) of $15 million per season, which tops Dan Uggla ($12.4 million) for the highest among second baseman. However, it falls just under Chase Utley‘s seven-year, $85 million contract in total value.
Kinsler, a two-time All-Star, owns a .276/.356/.470 batting line in the big leagues. The 29-year-old appeared in a career-high 155 games last season while batting .255/.355/.477 with 32 homers, 77 RBI, 30 stolen bases and an .832 OPS.
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 4
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 19
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 7
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 4
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 33
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 80
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (80)