Apr 10, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Moments after Mariano Rivera closed out a 6-2 win over Baltimore last night Yankees catcher Russell Martin was shouting at Orioles second baseman Robert Andino, with both players needing to be held back as their teams left the field.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that Martin and the Yankees believed Andino was signaling Rivera’s pitch locations to hitters while standing on second base, although everyone involved downplayed the incident afterward.
Joe Girardi dismissed it as merely “boys being boys” and Martin said: “I don’t remember what happened at the end there. A little yapping session towards the end. Nothing crazy.”
Andino declined to comment, but he might have something to say if the Yankees decide to retaliate with a plunking in today’s game. Asked if that was in the plans, Martin replied: “Maybe it’ll make it more exciting, I don’t know. I can’t predict the future. It’s fun. It’s baseball, there’s emotions flying and stuff. What else can I say?”
Hoch notes that this isn’t the first time Martin has been angry about alleged pitch tipping by an opponent, as he accused the Blue Jays of doing the same against Bartolo Colon last July. And of course it’s worth noting that base runners relay signs and pitch locations to hitters all the time, usually without incident. It would be interesting to know what Martin thinks of the whole practice when his teammates are the ones doing it.
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 23
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 88
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)