Apr 10, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Moments after Mariano Rivera closed out a 6-2 win over Baltimore last night Yankees catcher Russell Martin was shouting at Orioles second baseman Robert Andino, with both players needing to be held back as their teams left the field.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that Martin and the Yankees believed Andino was signaling Rivera’s pitch locations to hitters while standing on second base, although everyone involved downplayed the incident afterward.
Joe Girardi dismissed it as merely “boys being boys” and Martin said: “I don’t remember what happened at the end there. A little yapping session towards the end. Nothing crazy.”
Andino declined to comment, but he might have something to say if the Yankees decide to retaliate with a plunking in today’s game. Asked if that was in the plans, Martin replied: “Maybe it’ll make it more exciting, I don’t know. I can’t predict the future. It’s fun. It’s baseball, there’s emotions flying and stuff. What else can I say?”
Hoch notes that this isn’t the first time Martin has been angry about alleged pitch tipping by an opponent, as he accused the Blue Jays of doing the same against Bartolo Colon last July. And of course it’s worth noting that base runners relay signs and pitch locations to hitters all the time, usually without incident. It would be interesting to know what Martin thinks of the whole practice when his teammates are the ones doing it.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)