The Lake County Fielders cancel the 2012 season

Apr 10, 2012, 3:30 PM EST

Lake County logo

Remember the Lake County Fielders? That independent team that had the announcer quite on the air after ripping the organization a new one? And had a player boycott when the team didn’t pay them, leading to crazy stuff like Jose Canseco pitching?

Yeah, well, they’re history:

With dueling lawsuits between the city of Zion and the Lake County Fielders, it was doubtful the minor-league team would be playing the 2012 baseball season.

The Fielders have made it official. They won’t be fielding a team this summer.

I guess even the independent leagues have a limit on how much crazy can happen.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I grew up 40min from Zion and barely had any idea who they were.

• rambodiaz - Apr 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

40 Minutes from Zion would be an excellent name for a bluegrass gospel song.

Or something.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Haha I agree.

The closest song I know is POD’s “Set Your Eyes to Zion.”

2. yankeesfanlen - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM

They’ll resurface sometime later in the season with either Ozzie or Bobby V managing

• jwbiii - Apr 10, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I don’t think so. The owner also lost the Schaumburg Flyers in 2009 after essentially being evicted from the stadium for not paying rent. There isn’t an available and suitable stadium in the Chicago area and I don’t think any town or university* is going to build or expand theirs for him.

*While confirming this to be true, I found out that Tim Stoddard has been the pitching coach at Northwestern for 19 years. Remember those great UCLA basketball teams that ran off seven straight championships? Stoddard was on the NC State team that beat them.

3. sabatimus - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Where’s Bill Veeck when you don’t need him?

4. 5thbase - Apr 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Dear editor,

I don’t think you used quite the word you meant. Maybe you should quit your job.

Best regards,

5thbase

5. kp33 - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Dear 5thbase, you sound like a pretentious prick. Please take your tampon out. That is all.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2771)
  2. W. Myers (2530)
  3. D. Ross (2181)
  4. C. McGehee (2115)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1974)
  1. J. Shields (1874)