Apr 10, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Remember the Lake County Fielders? That independent team that had the announcer quite on the air after ripping the organization a new one? And had a player boycott when the team didn’t pay them, leading to crazy stuff like Jose Canseco pitching?
Yeah, well, they’re history:
With dueling lawsuits between the city of Zion and the Lake County Fielders, it was doubtful the minor-league team would be playing the 2012 baseball season.
The Fielders have made it official. They won’t be fielding a team this summer.
I guess even the independent leagues have a limit on how much crazy can happen.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 72
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47