Undercover security guards are roaming Dodger Stadium in Pirates jerseys

Apr 10, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

Dodger Stadium

The Dodgers home opener is sold out and, a year after Bryan Stow was beaten nearly to death, security is, not surprisingly, tight.  And clever:

On Tuesday, scores of uniformed Los Angeles Police Department officers patrolled the stands, the huge parking lots and the entrance.

Undercover officers wearing Pirates jerseys also were on hand.

“At every game this season, we’re going to have undercover officers in the opposing team jerseys,” Sgt. Mitzi Fierro said. “If somebody is going to harass a fan from an opposing team, it increases the possibility of them coming in contact with a police officer. It kind of requires people to be on their best behavior.”

I wonder if they’re speaking Yinzer too.  That would be cool.

1. nflfollower - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM

This is the right move by security, just truly sad it had to come to this.

• pittsburghsteelerz - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

At least someone will be weaning a Pirate jersey… sigh. Going on 20 years without a winning record… double sigh.

• BigBeachBall - Apr 10, 2012 at 9:43 PM

the football fans pour into dodger stadium like osmosis because it’s the only open air sporting event that allows drinking…. if they brought back football to LA…. the baseball games would be more family friendly…. im about 10% sure….

2. yankeesfanlen - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Not only entrapment, but everyone knows there’s only 11 Pirates fans left in North America.

• cur68 - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Shhhhhhhh…some of them read this blog. You’ll hurt his feelings.

• atwatercrushesokoye - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

How is that entrapment? Entrapment would be beating down one of the 11 Pirates fans left in order for other people to join in so that you could arrest them and charge them.

3. l0yalr0yal - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I would be super pissed if my city took tax dollars to buy Pirates jerseys.

On a more serious note, I hope we never have to hear another story like that of Bryan Stow. And if this is the measure that it takes to ensure that, so be it.

• paperlions - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM

If that would piss you off….you should look more closely into the things they actually spend money on. After that exercise, you wouldn’t worry about a few pirates’ jerseys.

4. barroomhero80 - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM

it’s no surprise to anyone going to the game it’s been all over the news, and im also sure those undercover officers wearing opposing teams jerseys wont be drunk talking crap looking for trouble either,

• jarathen - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I don’t care what a person says while drunk, they don’t deserve to be beaten within an inch of their life.

• hasbeen5 - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Unless they say they love Castro, right?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Since when is talking smack the same as looking for trouble?

• larryboodry - Apr 10, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Bryan Stow was not ‘talking crap and looking for trouble,’ either…And sad to say, even with this being common knowledge, I fear there will still be idiot Dodger fans caught being abusive.

• barroomhero80 - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM

hahaha get over it

• barroomhero80 - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM

idiot fans everywhere princess

5. barroomhero80 - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM

and isn’t a lil friendly rivalry all part of the game, so now u boo someone your in trouble……geez

• hasbeen5 - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Have you missed the Bryan Stow story completely?

Booing is one thing, life support machines are another.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Booing someone getting you in trouble? Not so much. Beating down someone who boos your team? Um…yeah…that should get you into some trouble, now shouldn’t it?

6. brewcitybummer - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Please tell me they are all wearing Kevin Correia jerseys off the discount rack. I really hope there’s conspicuous groups of fat guys with bushy mustaches walking around dodger stadium in Kevin Correia jerseys.

• jwbiii - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Let’s see. . . fat, bushy mustache, Pirates. . . Mike LaValliere!

• jwbiii - Apr 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Actually, you can probably get this guy’s off the rack

7. rob0527 - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Great idea, but can’t believe it has come to this. R the cops going to be acting drunk and stupid? Or just walking around in opposing teams jerseys.
    Who pays for jerseys? R the dodgers going to comp opposing team jerseys to police or r these officers going to have to buy jerseys for all opposing teams?

• stex52 - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

No, they don’t have to act drunk and stupid. They are Pirate fans, not Mets fans. :-)

8. thomas2727 - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:28 PM

They should wear Dale Berra jersey’s and see how long it takes for somebody to ask for some coke.

9. notsofast10 - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

As a Dodger fan that has been going to Dodger Stadium for over 40 years, Opening Day versus the Pirates does not present a Security Alert like an Opening Day game versus the Giants! Or for that matter any game versus the Giants!

10. eshine76 - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I love the comments about the cops acting drunk and obnoxious… Right, because its always the opposing team acting that way. Its never a home fan with a few drinks who feels empowered because he’s surrounded by thousands of other fans who have his back. Ok.

Good for the Dodgers. You should be able to watch a game without getting an earful from some jackass.

11. mdpickles - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I was in Pittsburgh on Saturday watching my Phils fail to hit out of a wet paper bag and the Pirates fans were nice to their neighbors to the East. I thought West Coast fans were supposed to be laid back?

• thomas2727 - Apr 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Wait until the Penguins and Flyers face off this week.

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia will not be nice to each other for long.

12. steveohho - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I never knew the extent of the animosity between the City of Angels and the Steel City. What a blood stained rivalry!

• SmackSaw - Apr 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I’ve never forgiven the Steelers for kicking my Rams butt in the ’80 Super Bowl. I’ll get you someday Stallworth!

13. trevorb06 - Apr 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I can see this working for them for any other team besides the Dodgers for the following reasons:
    1. Pittsburgh has fans?
    2. Pittsburgh has fans outside of Pittsburgh?
    3. Pittsburgh has fans in and around LA, a city that happens to have two baseball teams to choose from in LA alone and 5 totIal baseball teams in California to even choose from?

I can see this being VERY clever when the Dodgers play guys like the Padres, Diamondbacks, Giants or even teams farther away that are better like the Phillies (yeah, can’t believe I just went there) or are deep in history like the Mets or even just popular for unexplainable reasons like the Nationals or Marlins. I cannot see this really helping things because now everybody knows that there is probably a 1 in 3 chance that the guy wearing a Pirates jersey is probably a cop (and I’m being VERY generous saying it’s a 1 in 3 chance). It’d be more believable to see somebody wearing a Brewers or Braves jersey or heck even an Astros jersey.

In all seriousness though, this is a very good move by the Dodgers and the city of Los Angeles. It’s extremely unfortunate that it had to come down to this. I take for granted that I can go alone with my tiny model of a girlfriend to a nightly Twins game and know that I can walk out of there, hop a bus or the light rail and get back safe no matter how late it is.

• trevorb06 - Apr 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

And to fix my stupid typo in the first sentence. I can see this working for any other team besides the PIRATES. Whoops.

14. 4letterman - Apr 10, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Now I know who purchased those John Candelaria jerseys!!!

15. mattjg - Apr 10, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I love that they have anonymous people in Pirates jerseys walking around Dodgers stadium. That will make people think twice. Fans won’t know if they’re dealing with an undercover cop or a Pirates player.

16. Jonny 5 - Apr 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I can see the future so I will look at my eyelids from the inside and see what will happen….. I see the guys in the pirates jerseys, they are being heckled and called piggy by 50 different people all at once. So sad. The sale of pirates jerseys just doubled for the season I’m thinking, and that’s a plus.

17. 4d3fect - Apr 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM

lots of jokes here, that’s cool, why didn’t Frank have someone come up with this idea when he was “in charge”?

• jwbiii - Apr 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM

McCourt cut the security budget. If you recall, at the time of the Stow assault, the Dodgers didn’t even have a security director. Buying a dozen or so jerseys for every visiting team would have really cut into his personal grooming budget or something.

18. lostsok - Apr 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

So THAT explains the headline, “Baffling increase in sale of Pirate jerseys.”

19. joewilliesshnoz - Apr 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM

If you wear a pirates jersey , you better remain anonymous

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS