Vin Scully to miss Dodgers home opener with “a bad cold”

Apr 10, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT

Vin Scully AP

Vin Scully won’t be at Dodger Stadium to broadcast the Dodgers’ home opener this afternoon, as the team announced that he’ll stay at home to rest due to “a bad cold.”

Any kind of sickness is obviously worrisome for an 84-year-old, so hopefully the beloved Scully will be back behind the microphone very soon and can resume being baseball’s best announcer.

I’m selfishly hoping for a speedy recovery, as I regularly tune into the Dodgers’ late-night games solely because listening to Scully is so amazing. I can’t even imagine how weird it’ll feel for Dodgers fans to watch the home opener without his soothing voice serving as the soundtrack.

At least Clayton Kershaw is feeling good enough after his bout with the flu to pitch against the Pirates.

1. randygnyc - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I’m not really a dodgers fan. In fact I’m a yankee fan living in NYC. With that said, I watched more than a 100 dodger games last year and the San Diego series the past few days, ONLY because Vin was behind the mic.

Get better, FAST, MR SCULLY.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Seems like all New Yorkers rue the day when he didn’t become the Voice of the Yankees

2. qcubed3 - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Vin, if I could, I’d take your cold for you so you could call the game today.

Get better soon!

3. spudchukar - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Not to make light of Vin’s ailment, and bad colds can be debilitating, but when this is only an upper respiratory irritation, I do not think many listeners, and fans like me would be able to discern the difference.

• heynerdlinger - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Not to be flippant, but I suspect that Vin is taking the day off for his own sake, not for the sake of listeners.

4. Gamera the Brave - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM

As a Giants fan, I have been both bred and genetically engineered to despise the Dodgers.
    That being said, Vin Scully is an icon, an amazing announcer, and I hope he gets better soon. An incredible career…

5. hojo20 - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I love getting the free preview of MLB Extra Innings since I can enjoy Scully’s awesome announcing. I wish he still did the Game of the Week & the World Series.

• natstowngreg - Apr 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM

3-4 years ago, I bought Extra Innings for the first time. As soon as the cable company rep said it was turned on, I switched to a random channel. Out of my TV came the voice of Vin Scully. Said to myself, this is good.

6. cur68 - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Dang, man. I was lookin’ forward the Dodgers game, today, too. Oh, well, just crossed the complete game Dodger Watch of my list of “to do’s”. Between Scully calling it and Kershaw pitching it, it was going to be a “can’t miss” for me, in its entirety. Instead, I think I’ll tune in to my Beaver Men and see if they can gut the Valentines this evening once they get under way, even if Kershaw hasn’t sealed the deal on the Pirates. But for the respective Valentine/Beaver Men closers, it would have been so last night. Get well soon, Mr. Scully.

7. blabidibla - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I’m a Giants fan and even I will miss hearing Vin Scully call this game.

8. Brian Murphy - Apr 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Sounds like grounds for postponement to me.

9. ajcardsfan - Apr 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Get well soon Vin so you can live an announce until you’re 100+, you’re one of the few announcer greats still left…I still miss Jack Buck

10. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Can’t spell “divine” without ‘Vin.’ Get well soon, sir. We all love you!

11. highlander24 - Apr 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Love you Mr. Vin Scully! Get well soon! Glad it’s only a cold, wasn’t the same without you today. Hope to be hearing you soon. We will be praying for you to get better. You’re the best!

12. AlohaMrHand - Apr 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I could listen to Vin read the entire phone book and be amazed.Get well,soon Mr Scully

• davidpom50 - Apr 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I’m late to the party here… But why do I suspect that if Vin was reading the phone book, he’d come up with absolutely fascinating stories about most of the people listed?

• AlohaMrHand - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM

indeed he would!

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3336)