Brandon Phillips on $72.5 million extension: “I cried … this is the best day of my life”

Apr 11, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds Photo Day Getty Images

Brandon Phillips sat out yesterday’s game with a sore hamstring, but still had plenty of reason to celebrate after signing a six-year, $72.5 million million contract extension with the Reds earlier in the day.

Here’s some of what an emotional Phillips said at the press conference announcing the deal:

I cried about this. This is where I wanted to be. I talked to my agents and I kept on telling them please, please make it happen. This is the best day of my life, man. …

I was like, “Mom, what should I do? The fans love me here, I love it here, this is where I wanted to be.” She was like, “Just go where your heart is.” I really didn’t want to be a free agent, regardless of what all the other guys were getting. To play in the city that I really love … I feel like this is home.

And of course $72.5 million and a deal that will be paying him $14 million as a 36-year-old also didn’t hurt.

1. mithrophon - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I’m not a Cincy fan and I’ve never cared about Brandon Phillips, but reading those quotes makes me want to buy a Phillips Reds jersey. I can see why he’s a fan favorite there.

• saints97 - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I’m a Cardinals fan, and most of us hate the guy. But I love the guy. Everything you read about him (other than the one mistake of calling his opponent b!tches and then pretend like nothing happened) shows a great guy who gets it.

Kudos to you, Mr. Phillips. You’ve earned that money, on and off the field, and I have no doubt that you will continue your fine work off the field (though I hope you suck on the field, of course).

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM

He went to where his heart is? I’m sorry, but he went to where the money is – it would have been his choice to stay, if the Reds made any offer whatsoever.

I’m glad he loves this town, and I think he’s a good dude, but I’m not going to sit here and think he would have stayed where he supposedly loves so much without market price.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Well sure, obviously if the Reds hadn’t made a competitive offer he would have gone Job hunting in the fall. His preference is to get paid top dollar in the city he loves to play in, that’s his dream come true.

To be fair, if the guy were 100% mercenary, he would have waited to hit free Agency and test the market.

• ajcardsfan - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I’m pretty sure he would have become pissed at the management if they would have tried to dupe him like that. The guy has worked for them, he at least deserved market minimum and I doubt there’s many that would disagree.

3. sandpiperair - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM

And as soon as Roy Firestone told him about it he thanked his agent, Jerry Maguire.

4. creek0512 - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Not suprised he would cry, he usually acts like a baby.

5. fearlessleader - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Fine. If no one else is going to make a “weepy little b*tch” joke, I’ll just do it myself.

6. nategearhart - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM

creek0512 & fearlessleader:
    If you two are Cardinal fans, then that’s pretty rich.

• fearlessleader - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM

They’re called “jokes.” :)

• saints97 - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Cincy fans aren’t good with jokes. They also believe that kicking someone in the face with spikes is a proud and noble way to handle yourself in a fight.

• nategearhart - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Not a Cincy fan, try again.

• saints97 - Apr 11, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Oh, so you just hate winners, and decided to stick an “h” in there to make yourself feel better. Fair enough.

7. lyon810 - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Better than the day when the Expos traded you?

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win