David Wright could be back in the Mets’ lineup within days

Apr 11, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT

david wright ap AP

David Wright‘s broken right pinkie finger is apparently a much less significant injury than it sounds, as the Mets third baseman will avoid surgery and might even be back in the lineup by the end of this week.

“I think David’s gonna be fine,” manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York. “I would not be at all surprised one bit to write his name in the lineup on Friday. Not one bit.”

In the meantime Wright will wear a splint on his finger, which he injured while diving back into first base during Monday’s game.

Collins revealed that Wright actually wanted to play yesterday but the manager wouldn’t allow it, so if nothing else it sounds like there’s a good chance he’ll avoid the disabled list.

1. ajcardsfan - Apr 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Broken pinkies aren’t bad all, I’ve had two. I could see it causing problems with a throw, but I think you could still do it if you just taped it tight to your ring finger rather than putting a splint on it

2. ezthinking - Apr 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

The swing will be the issue with the pinkie wedged between the right ring finger and the index finger of the left (bottom) hand.

3. mybrunoblog - Apr 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Terry Collins further said ” yeah David will be back by Friday and monkeys will fly out of my ass, the Cubs will win a world series and Ozzie Guillen will stop saying dumb things”

4. sdelmonte - Apr 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM

It’s just a pinkie. But David sometimes tries too hard. Look at how he unwisely played through the pain with his broken back. I would consider the DL just to make sure he heals properly.

I am still have memories of David Cone’s broken pinkie, though it’s different when it’s a pitcher.

5. kevinbnyc - Apr 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Collins is disappointed that the broken pinkie didn’t get to spring training early like it wasn’t required to.

• jimbo1949 - Apr 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM

+1000 This ^

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2946)