Apr 11, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
My kids want to go to California, so I am planning on taking them to California on a vacation sometime this summer. The first thought was to head towards Los Angeles, or at least somewhere near there like the Orange County beaches.
But it’s expensive! The airfares are pretty steep to LAX at the moment, and the hotels and resorts are no bargain either. So I’ve been rethinking. The current candidate: San Diego. Much cheaper to get there from here. And, even though it is not as glamorous, I think it’ll be pretty darn nice, even if it means I have to visit my brother too.
A similar dynamic is going on with baseball team sales at the moment. As Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports, the bidding for the San Diego Padres is now open. And, not surprisingly, a lot of people who first thought L.A. was a great idea are now interested in San Diego:
Citing confidentiality clauses and the sensitivities of embarrassed losers, Greenberg and Moag declined to discuss potential bidders Tuesday. Still, Greenberg has a history with hedge fund billionaire Steve Cohen, who lost out in the final bidding for the Dodgers …Two baseball sources Tuesday identified former Dodgers owner Peter O’Malley as an interested party. Another baseball source believes former player agent Dennis Gilbert may get involved with the Padres once he’s recovered from losing out on the Dodgers.
It’s still warm, the accommodations are still fabulous and, while it may not be quite as glamorous, my kids and those old rich dudes will probably like San Diego just as much as they would have liked L.A.
At least I hope so, or else next year it means I’m going to Disney World.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 2
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 80
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)