Apr 11, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
My kids want to go to California, so I am planning on taking them to California on a vacation sometime this summer. The first thought was to head towards Los Angeles, or at least somewhere near there like the Orange County beaches.
But it’s expensive! The airfares are pretty steep to LAX at the moment, and the hotels and resorts are no bargain either. So I’ve been rethinking. The current candidate: San Diego. Much cheaper to get there from here. And, even though it is not as glamorous, I think it’ll be pretty darn nice, even if it means I have to visit my brother too.
A similar dynamic is going on with baseball team sales at the moment. As Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports, the bidding for the San Diego Padres is now open. And, not surprisingly, a lot of people who first thought L.A. was a great idea are now interested in San Diego:
Citing confidentiality clauses and the sensitivities of embarrassed losers, Greenberg and Moag declined to discuss potential bidders Tuesday. Still, Greenberg has a history with hedge fund billionaire Steve Cohen, who lost out in the final bidding for the Dodgers …Two baseball sources Tuesday identified former Dodgers owner Peter O’Malley as an interested party. Another baseball source believes former player agent Dennis Gilbert may get involved with the Padres once he’s recovered from losing out on the Dodgers.
It’s still warm, the accommodations are still fabulous and, while it may not be quite as glamorous, my kids and those old rich dudes will probably like San Diego just as much as they would have liked L.A.
At least I hope so, or else next year it means I’m going to Disney World.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 22
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (103)