Apr 11, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Michael Weiner spoke to the National Press Club today, and among his comments were his views on the Hall of Fame: he thinks Cooperstown “is for the best baseball players that have ever played,” and that’s regardless of their status as PED cheats or gambling cheats for that matter.
He said that PED users should be in, but that their plaques should bear some notation that they used PEDs. He also said he thinks Pete Rose should be in too. He also made a really excellent point: there will probably be executives and at least one commissioner [cough] Bud Selig [cough] inducted into the Hall who engaged in collusion in the 1980s, which Weiner rightly called a “massive conspiracy” against the players. Which it was.
I can’t find any fault here. At bottom, you have to have some consistent standard: everyone in based on their playing merits or no one in. Since we don’t know who used and who didn’t, how about everyone?
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 93
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (93)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)