NBC SportsTalk: Should the Marlins have fired Ozzie Guillen?

Apr 11, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

Steak and Craigs

I was on the tee-vee last night, debating with a man named Steak — really — about whether the Marlins should have fired Ozzie Guillen.  File that under “things I never would have guessed I’d be doing this time last week.”

Anyway, one thought occurred to me after we taped this thing. If the Marlins truly thought that Ozzie Guillen was expressing support for Fidel Castro, his crimes and his policies, that certainly would have justified Guillen’s firing because that’s just nuts. If they did not think he was doing that, however, then he deserved no punishment whatsoever.

All of which just reinforces the notion that the five game suspension and the contrition tour is just bunk designed to mollify angry people, not to foster that “sensitivity that the game’s many cultures deserve” which Bud Selig was talking about yesterday, and that’s pretty weak sauce, even if the anger is understandable.

Oh well, whatever.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. mrfloydpink - Apr 11, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Jesus. Tiffany was definitely not looking her best last night.

• Old Gator - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM

They just airbrushed out her makeup. That’s how you look on the cover of a tabloid whose editor has it in for you.

2. 1historian - Apr 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM

when you hear the comish say ‘sensitivity’ you KNOW you’re in spin mode.

Have oz go to Arkansas for the season to coach football and and hire bobo petrino to come to Miami.

When you hire clowns like those two NOTHING should surprise you.

3. Old Gator - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Last night was pretty quiet on Macondo spawrts toork raydeeo. The Heat falling to the Celtics again and the local hockey team (hockey team? – what’s next, professional backandforthandbackandforthandbackandforthball?) dominated the discussion. One host even said, “I don’t want to talk about this anymore” when a caller mentioned L’affaire Ozzie at the end of his anti-Boston rant. The Macondo Herald ran the obligatory Ozzie-is-an-idiot editorial without bothering to call out our local elected demagogues for riding their incendiary bandwagons down the airwaves – typical – and pronounced the five-day suspension “justified,” which is their elliptical way of saying “enough is enough.” After fifty nonstop years of it, even sympathetic non-Cuban Macondoans grow weary pretty fast at Cuban indignation these days. By the time Craig and Señor Churrasco went at it last night, they were pretty much just dredging the sludge from the runoff of this teapot tempest at the bottom of the Macondo Ship Canal.

The weather is very nice today, by the way….

4. drunkenhooliganism - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I find the outcry from the cuban population (the ones that are grandstanding, not all of them) to be completely hypocritical. They, or their parents, left Cuba because of restrictions on their freedom. And their response when someone has a differing opinion is to try to suppress his freedom of speech? Maybe they need to step back and figure out what they’re trying to accomplish.

5. scribebob - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Given that this was not the first time that ozzie said virtually the same thing to another reporter, it proves that he really means that he admires Castro and that his so-called apology is bogus. The Miami fans can’t live with him, knowing he truth. He MUST GO!

• Bar None - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Why? Even if he does support Castro, that isn’t illegal. I can’t believe that Ozzie was suspended for 5 days over these remarks and all these players are getting DUIs and aren’t suspended for a game. Ozzie didn’t break the law, the DUIers did. And if we are going to fire people for remarks they make, what about Luke Scott’s “Birther” comments? MLB just set a bad precedence.

• cidminion - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Though i take your side when it comes to not firing Ozzie Guillen, i don’t necessarily agree with the reason why. Look you can very well be fired for comments like this if and only if your fan base begins to boycott your games. Anything that you do or say that negatively affects your company, you need to take action. If this continues to be an issue the rest of the year and ticket sales drop, you may see more action. I believe the suspension is warranted, you made a mistake well here you go. 5 games is nothing and i believe that Ozzie understands that. Now one way to make everyone forget is by filtering your opinions or not talking about politics and winning.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

MLB just set a bad precedence.

Just want to point that it was the Miami Marlins that suspended him, not MLB.

• Bar None - Apr 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM

But MLB stated that they agreed with the Marlin’s decision to suspend him.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM

True, but that’s far far different from the League itself suspending him. If the Marlins had done nothing I have to wonder what Selig would have actually done.

• Old Gator - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Scribebob, you can spin his comments any way you want to suit your own percolating reservoir of bile and semantic ineptitude, but Macondo fans will live with him just fine if his team wins ballgames.

I was having my regular morning cafe con leche at my local Cuban cafe this morning and asked a couple of the regulars, mostly Cuban but a nice mix of Nicaraguans, Salvadorans, Colombians and Venezuelans around the counter what they thought about it. The opinion was universally that Slobbering Ozzie is a dimwit, but none of those guys thought it was really any big deal. My Venezuelan waitress (sigh) thought he was an idiot but pointed out that Ozzie has frequently said that he detests Chavez, so the chances that he “really admires” Castro are pretty slim, wouldn’t you say?

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Besides which I believe Ozzie had clarified earlier, that the supposed admiration was for surviving at the top for more than 50 years without getting assassinated, toppled, invaded, etc. That’s far from saying he agrees with his policies.

Holy cow, Gator and I defending Oz… The world IS going to end this year…

• Old Gator - Apr 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Although if you keep invoking Rizzuto like that, we may be able to postpone the apocalypse for a few more years yet,

6. cktai - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Steak makes you look good Craig.

7. sportsdrenched.com - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

My only reason for wanting Ozzie to stay around is purely selfish…in that, you KNOW he’s going to say or do something else before Cinco de Mayo that will be entertaining, poor taste, and spectacularly over-reacted to.

8. skids003 - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Well what is the Commish supposed to say? In the environment in this country we’ve created, we stay in PC mode all the time now. You really don’t have freedom of speech unless you are liberal; even then, once in awhile, it bites you. It’s a one way street.

• mrfloydpink - Apr 11, 2012 at 1:43 PM

“You really don’t have freedom of speech unless you are liberal”

Let me state that another way: “Only conservatives say the sorts of ignorant or hateful things that provoke mass outrage, and thus a vocal response.”

There. Much more precise.

9. Walk - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I dont think ozzie should be fired. Its an opinion he expressed before, the tean should have known. If they did not well they did not do their due dilligence or something or other. Now as for not ever hiring him well thats a seperate subject and also my opinion. Should not have hired him if they cannot handle the media attention he craves.

10. stex52 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I’m bored. Let’s go on to Ozzie’s next desperate cry for attention. I’m sure it won’t take long.

• Old Gator - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM

For moi – and I am aware that my tastes and interests don’t coincide with those of the so called muddy, turbid, debris-choked mainstream – the real tragedy of Slobbering Ozzie’s political bon mots is that they have completely obscured all the cool things he said about participating in Santeria animal sacrifices the day before. If I had known he was a Santera, I would have gone a lot easier on him. But now that I know that he is one of the 102, 86, 93, 17 or however many communists there are in congress, I’m not sure I can cut him quite as much slack as I was planning to….

• stex52 - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Santeria? You want some excitement? Explain to the evangelical right what that means! I’m sure they don’t know about it yet, but proceed with caution about enlightening them. The Castro thing will blow away in the wind from that one.

BTW, my wife loves the idea of the dance venue Sunday night. We have a niece coming in to visit who used to dance, so it gives us some place to take her.

11. paperlions - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

MLB should ban itself for 30 games for playing games in Japan and offending the families of all those people that died in Pearl Harbor or in the ensuing fight against that country during WWII.

12. bcopus - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Why was he being asked about Castro in the first place? It seems like that was a pretty deliberate setup. We’re heading in the wrong direction with political correctness. The wrong people got hold of the idea and have mangled it into a monster used to stifle any opinion they don’t like. Ozzie said he loved and respected the guy for not getting killed, which sounds like the beginning to a joke, not something worth lynching the guy over.

• Old Gator - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Of course it was a joke. I’ve been listening with my mouth hanging open to the way some of these imbecile pundits and cretinous politicians have been spinning these stupid comments of his when it ought to be clear to anyone without an ideological twin-bladed early medieval battle hatchet to grind on a hand-hewn pedal-driven granite screed wheel that he was just shooting his silly mouth off.

Our so-called political leadership is just hopelessly corrupt and opportunistic. May they all come down with West Nile this summer.

13. notoriousbri - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Craig, you look eerily similar to John Malkovich’s character on “In the Line of Fire” can you make a wooden gun to bypass metal detectors too?

14. bcopus - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I’ve heard Hitler was a pretty awesome poker player. Sorry Europe…I didn’t mean that at all.

• Old Gator - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Yeah, and look at what Mel Brooks write:

“Paint? The Fuhrer could paint! A whole room! Thirty minutes! Two coats!”

I say Mel Brooks is a Nazi, and he should lose his AFTRA card!

Oh, and sorry that I capitalized “Nazi.” I didn’t really mean anything by it….

15. Mark Armour - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

The right-wing Cuban-Americans are the best friend Castro ever had. Thanks for the embargo, dudes–Castro stays in power, and the Cuban people are all starving. Nice work.

16. Steve Stein - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I think Steak had the better argument here.
    “the five game suspension and the contrition tour is just bunk designed to mollify angry people” – yeah, OK, I agree. Cowardly? Maybe so. But why is this so wrong? This isn’t personal, it’s business. And Ozzie just blew a huge hole in your business. You have to do *something* or else your ballpark is going to have more angry people outside than paying customers inside. That can’t be good.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2908)