The Red Sox head home 1-5 following yet another loss

Apr 11, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox  v Toronto Blue Jays Getty Images

The home opener on Friday at Fenway is gonna be rockin’! This after the Red Sox dropped another one — a particularly dispiriting one — 3-1 to the Blue Jays.

The Red Sox had three hits, all singles. All in the third inning. After that they went down in order in the fourth through eighth innings, before drawing both of their walks in the ninth.  They were a non-threat to Rickey Romero, basically all day.

The Jays themselves didn’t do much either, mustering only three hits and two walks themselves, though they obviously got something out of them. Jon Lester went eight innings, striking out six.

So, bring on the Rays on Friday afternoon!

1. antlerclaws - Apr 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Curse of the Titanic?

2. dondada10 - Apr 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

6 games is a TINY sample size and shouldn’t be read into too much. But when you remember the way that Sox finished last season, suddenly the sample size isn’t that small and it’s almost panic time.

• 18thstreet - Apr 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

It’s not about six games. It’s about the fears being correct: the bullpen stinks, they aren’t going to get enough offense out of the outfield, and Bobby Valentine is a terrible manager. Too much Punto, too many bunts, no faith in his players, and a big mouth that’s bound to tick off the locker room behind closed doors. Winning a few games won’t change that.

I was patient last year, but not this year.

The roster is flawed, and they let the best GM and manager in team history leave. If you’re a Sox fan clinging to “it’s just six games,” then you’re not paying attention to what those six games portend: a wasted season.

• baseballisboring - Apr 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Well…I dunno. I mean, they started 2-11 last year, right? Then they were awesome, up until that one month I’ve been talking to my therapist about ever since. Am I crazy for still being optimistic? I don’t see any reason why we can’t at least be in the wild card race up until the deadline, when hopefully we’ll be getting Bailey back, and we have enough chips to trade for a quality reliever. The bullpen is a big concern…but I think we have enough talent elsewhere to hang on until reinforcements come.

• dondada10 - Apr 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I’m a Mets fan, so I don’t have much of a frame of reference as far as rooting for winning teams goes. However, I remember starting 0-5 in 2005 and feeling that the Mets would be fine. I remember starting 1-5 (or so) in 2009, after a collapse in 2007 and 2008, and knowing the team was screwed. It just stunk of last year.

This year’s Sox stinks of last year.

3. xpensivewinos - Apr 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Who’s on pain medication now?????

Bad team………..bad karma………..gonna be a very looooooooooooooong season.

• natstowngreg - Apr 11, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Not buying the bad karma. Not since 2004.

The bad team part, maybe. But trends don’t continue in a straight line. They will get better. Whether they get better enough is a fair question.

4. crispybasil - Apr 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I’m trying to look on the bright side – Lester pitched well today. But the offense looks very much like they did at the beginning of last year…and they’ll be up against Price/Hellickson (if he’s okay)/Moore for the series at Fenway. Yikes.

• crispybasil - Apr 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM

And Shields.

5. gotampabay52 - Apr 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Bean town or should I say ugly chick town here we come to smack ya around hopefully u all are sober bobby v is horrible

6. randygnyc - Apr 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM

The only chance of THIS red sox team being fondly remembered is if their plane goes down.

• drewzducks - Apr 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Didn’t think Thurman was still flying.

7. uyf1950 - Apr 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM

THIS JUST IN. After the pathetic start to the 2012 season by the Red Sox, Lucchino has withdrawn invitations previously extended to Bobby Valentine and Ben Cherington to attend the 100th Anniversary of Fenway Park. They have been told they can watch the ceremonies on TV though.

• drewzducks - Apr 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Is the Anniversary celebration slogan 100 losses for 100 years?

8. proudlycanadian - Apr 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Come off it Craig. Give credit where credit is due. Romero out pitched Lester. Both of them were good, but Romero was best.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM

The best team won the game and the series.

• cur68 - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM

S’how I saw it, too. So there.

• 24missed - Apr 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Harsh. If the boys knew how to hit the ball a little, just a little, they might have stood a chance.

Cur, is this one under your evil influence?

• 24missed - Apr 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Cur,

When it comes to the BJ’s, your vision is a little distorted. Years from now, you will sit around your little campfire, saying to friends, “We’ll always have that Boston April 2012 series.” As your friends that have allegiances with other teams look pathetically upon you. Gosh, we lost, but by scripting this post, I feel sorry for you. Poor thing.

Thankful to be moving on to different series. Maybe a little support for each other until the teams meet again…

• 24missed - Apr 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Romero was good, but he’s no Lester. Romero was surrounded by a team. He had a catcher that could catch. That’s pretty important to a pitcher. And all sorts of other stuff and gizmos. I’ve got me some Lester love ’cause I need to cling to something this year. Please?

• cur68 - Apr 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Ah, 24. I missed all this. Sorry about that. Was celebrating a series victory a bit too hard, 8)

Chin up, my dear. They get to play some ball with the Rays then the Rangers then some group of palookas known as the Yankees. How hard can that be to win? In fact, just watching these Yankees put a lickin on the Angels. My, but they can play some baseball, these Yankees, eh?

Our clubs will meed again, have no fear. Meantime, hang in there. If you get really despondent, watch some Beaver Men do their thang and think of me: it’ll cheer you endlessly.

• 24missed - Apr 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Are you okay? Not being pesky, well, a little, but, 24 misses you.

• 24missed - Apr 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Hey,

Just catching up, too. No harm celebrating, we’ll be back.

You were right about the Rays. Not so bad. Just what the dr. ordered, except for dear Jacoby. That was horrific to watch and have to see the replays a zillion times. Absolutely awful.

Bobby V. already getting the boo birds. Welcome to Boston.

I just might catch up on some Blue Jay action, if I can tear myself away from NESN.

9. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Hey, look on the bright side, that’s one more win than they had in their first six last year!

10. marshmallowsnake - Apr 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Awesome! They are on pace to be better then last year!!!! YES!!!

11. aceshigh11 - Apr 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Utter trainwreck.

I’m pretty sure this team will not improve until Josh Beckett is gone. He is the cancer: arrogant, entitled, defiant, disrespectful, and unrepentant over last year.

He is completely fcking up the chemistry of the team. It’s basically down to Beckett vs. Pedroia for the soul of this team, and Beckett is winning.

12. bigharold - Apr 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM

The rotation was suspect after Lester and Beckett, (now perhaps after just Lester). The pen is a joke. They’ve a new manager that may be a breath of fresh air or a tornado of chaos.

The Nation should brace themselves. Thing could get ugly.

13. bigharold - Apr 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM

The Nation should brace themselves. Things could get ugly.

14. xmatt0926x - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I have no issues with the Sox and I don’t root for their demise. I do root for the demise of Josh Beckett at all times. I couldn’t stand him when he was in the National League with the Marlins. He would always bitch about hitters showboating or “pimpin” as he would call it but he was always the pitcher who would strike a guy out and then glare at him and mutter crap under his breath. He just strikes me as that unshaven guy in the old man bar who would sit there and pound cheap beer and stare at guys just praying to start a fight.

15. pisano - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM

When devout Boston fans call Beckett a prick, I would take that as the gospel. I personally never cared for this guy because of the way he deals with getting pounded, and what I’m talking about is the way he’ll throw at the opposing team after they knock him around the park, remember this asshole never has to bat. He has always struck me as a hillbilly. As my friend says, just my opinion.

16. themightyquinn1 - Apr 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Henry must have been in the John when he approved this mess of a team. If Dustin gets no ‘husstle’ support, he’ll ask to be traded – and Bobby? Well, he’ll be gone before the Break. No sellout record this year folks. Keep on smilin, Tito!

Players Perception
    Salty & Bard Deer in headlights
    Aviles I’m just an average player but I won’t tell anyone
    Big Popi I should have opted-out
    Kevin It’s a mad, mad world
    Beckett Hey, up yours!
    Adrian I left San Diego for this?
    Carl What am I doing here? I hate the Red Sox!

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3569)