There was a brawl in the stands at the Blue Jays home Opener

Apr 11, 2012, 8:46 AM EDT

Fisticuffsmanship!

Via Deadspin comes some pretty unfortunate video: a fan fight at the Jays-Red Sox game on Monday. This was the scene at Rogers Centre at the Blue Jays’ home opener:

Deadspin says that the Jays had tried to curb Opening Day drinking. No word on how that went as such, but it looks like they need to redouble their efforts to curb rampant jackassery.

1. phukyouk - Apr 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM

the dude swings like my dead grandmother…

2. b7p19 - Apr 11, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Dude got sucker punched twice. Gotta keep that head on a swivel.

• 18thstreet - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Gregg Williams needs to explain himself.

3. mybrunoblog - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Canada ay? Did a hockey game break out after the fight?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Sounds like you’ve never been to Canada, eh?

• cur68 - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Eh /..\?

4. crashdavis99 - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM

That’s what happens when you talk smack about the Queen. McSorely in the grey tee gets game misconduct for 3rd man in.

5. joecool16280 - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

“redouble their efforts ” am I just a geek or was that a Star Wars shout out?

6. drunkenhooliganism - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

For a fan fight, there was some solid contact. No slapfighting at all. I saw a fight outside Wrigley one time that was so bad onlookers got bored and walked away.

• skids003 - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM

The girl usher jumped right in there. Kudos to her.

7. rambodiaz - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Fans of the B-Jays come to blows…

• crashdavis99 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Oh Snap!!! Nicely done. :)

8. fellspointbird - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Pugalism!

9. gotampabay52 - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Stupid country above ours

10. ptfu - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I thought they wrassle them beavers, not each other…

• cur68 - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:08 AM

This might have been Pre-Beaver Wrestling jousting: y’know, like a mating ritual? We do that…only we call it “hockey”.

11. jolt12 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I always sez that selling sodey-pop in the stands is a mistake. It angries up the blood.

12. yankees177 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Does anyone else have a problem viewing vids on the nbc sports android app?

13. brucewaynewins - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Fights in Toronto? No way! I’ve seen it first hand with their soccer team when they play the Columbus Crew.

14. cidminion - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Ya, Brick killed a guy with a trident.

• foreverchipper10 - Apr 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I saw that!

15. crusty14 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM

To get drunk at jays game you better bring a full wallet! I went to a game last year and a buddy had free tickets, so I said I’ll buy the beer and pay for parking. That free ticket cost me close to a hundred bucks and I didn’t even get a glow on!

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Hahaha you got Punk’d. Next time park at Wilson (free after 3pm I think) and offer to pay for the subway tickets, much cheaper than $40 or $50 parking.

16. stex52 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I don’t see Cur on line today. Do you suppose he was involved? I picture a guy wearing a tee-shirt with a raging beaver on the front.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

“I picture a guy wearing a tee-shirt with a raging beaver on the front.”

There’s a dirty joke in there somewhere…

• stex52 - Apr 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Absolutely. But the other guys here don’t do it, so I try to control myself.

• cur68 - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I was at work all day. Just saw this. All I have to say is that none of those guys were hockey players. If they were, someone woulda got hurt.

17. pmcenroe - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I went to Opening Day there last year and it was the same thing, tons of fights in and outside of the stadium. Not to mention having the game stopped twice b/c everyone tying the “ralley-towls” they gave away into knots and throwing them onto the field. Unfortunately Opening Day/Home Opener in Toronto has become the ticket du-jour for 20-something jackoffs to get wasted on $9 beers and pretend to be baseball fans for one night.

• crashdavis99 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

You’d think they have better things to do with their time, like take in a Leafs playoff game…oh wait…Sorry.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

It’s ridiculous. This wasn’t the only altercation that came to blows. There was one a few sections over from me not even half way through the game with beer and punches thrown, and that wasn’t even in the cheap seats.

When the Sox tied the game I had loudmouth idiots throwing their garbage at me and telling me to go home (I decided not to tell them I was from Toronto, that probably would’ve made things worse). Then I was told to stop complaining about having crap thrown at me because “like this stuff doesn’t happen at Fenway.”

Seemed like there was less stuff thrown on the field this year but more fights. It was a disgraceful display.

18. miggyandbiggy - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Canadians, eh.

19. markcycy - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM

am sure the philadelphia fan base was blamed for it.

20. sasquash20 - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM

The guys who sucker punched that dude are a bunch of weak azz punks. Any chump can sneak somebody, it is the exact opposite of being a man. But this vid reminds me of opening day at the Vet in my youth, tons of fights and tons of boozing.

21. djpostl - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM

“The tragedy of Canada is that they had the perfect opportunity to enjoy French cuisine, British culture and American technology, but instead ended up with British cuisine, American culture and French technology.”

Sorry, just had to get that out there.

22. sticky2999 - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM

omg there were fights during a sports event!!! i was at the skydome!! happens every year!! n not like this doesnt happen all over america at their sports events!!! last time i check some1 got shot outside sf vs oak game n a riot broke out inside candlestick!!! also some1 got put into a coma at a sf giant game and the dodgers had undercover cops in their attendance in opposing teams jerseys,,, soo ppl need to settle down!!! every1 knows this only happens usually durning opening weekend than the tru fans come n watch the games n not spend 10.50$ a beer lol

• wendell7 - Apr 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Are you texting on a baseball blog?

23. pellypell - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Real Candians would have apologized to each other after the fight.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM

We have douchebags here too even if we like to pretend we don’t.

24. spindervish - Apr 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM

The fans didn’t exactly acquit themselves nicely last night either. At least three separate stoppages of play because of one sort of fan buffoonery or another, including one fight.

25. juicejuicer - Apr 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Raiders fans north of the border, eh?

Who would have thunk it’s not just a Dodgers Stadium or Philadelphia thing?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5439)