Yoenis Cespedes is one smart dude

Apr 11, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Yoenis Cespedes

Many people thought that the Yoenis Cespedes would sign with the Marlins. He’s Cuban! It’s Miami! It fits so perfectly!  And then it didn’t happen, of course.

In light of all of the Ozzie Guillen stuff, it seems pretty smart, no?  Because who would want any part of that minefield? Not Cespedes, that’s for sure. John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reports:

“Miami’s very political, and he feels more at ease, more relaxed here,” said Amaury Pi-Gonzalez, the longtime announcer who’s working on the A’s Spanish broadcasts this year. “When I met (Céspedes), I said, ‘I will not ask you anything political.’ He said, ‘Even if you did, I won’t talk about it.’

“From that indication, he doesn’t want to get involved. He just wants to play ball. He could be idolized in Miami, but the pressure would be humongous … The Marlins never had a big Cuban superstar (hitter). He could be a hero on that team, but if he lays an egg, the pressure could be bigger than in Oakland.”

Pressure to perform, sure. But what happens the first time he does a putatively fluff interview for the Sunday insert and says something like “I met Castro at a state dinner once. He could really dance well” and he doesn’t back that up with a condemnation of his policies?

He doesn’t need that kind of trouble.

1. wonkypenguin - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

People really don’t use the word humongous enough.

• dondada10 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I’m surprised by this. My girlfriend uses the word all the time.

• bkarbour - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM

As in “Wow, is my boyfriend a humongous exaggerator.”

• chumthumper - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Your name isn’t Dirk Digler is it?

2. heynerdlinger - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Probably the bigger pressure would have been being the unofficial (and probably unwilling) political poster child for the anti-Castro groups in Miami. For any athlete who just wants to play baseball (and make millions of dollars), that’s a hellish minefield of its own.

Also smart: Stick with the AL and avoid any road games in Miami…

• kopy - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Although, even without realignment, it would still happen about every 6 years. Starting next year, with the Astros move, a road trip to Miami might be an annual or biannual thing.

3. Spiro Agnew - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Plus he can star as himself in the Moneyball sequel!

4. stex52 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I don’t blame him. I don’t like politics at work either. And, as a fan, I like minimal politics in my baseball.

5. jlove42 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Perhaps the first time in history someone went to the Bay Area to get away from everything being so political

• saints97 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

That was exactly my thought.

6. APBA Guy - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:42 AM

We’ll see how smart he is. Last night Duffy threw him the same way he’s been pitched for the last 5 games. Hard stuff in, breaking stuff down and away. He’s hitting the mistakes hard (ie homer off Vargas, double off King Felix) but if those pitches are executed, he’s an out without contact. He needs to make adjustments, like any other successful MLB hitter.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3888)