Apr 12, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
In addition to trading away a ton of young talent this offseason the A’s also lost perhaps their best young pitcher, Brett Anderson, to Tommy John elbow surgery in July.
That knocked him out for at least 12 months, but Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that Anderson’s recovery is going so well that returning almost exactly one year after the surgery is looking like a possibility.
Lee reports that Anderson threw his first post-surgery bullpen session this week and will soon be throwing live batting practice sessions at the A’s spring training complex in Arizona.
Anderson called a mid-July return “the goal” and said that, so far least, he’s been “step by step” with the outlined recovery plan. Oakland will probably be out of contention by July, but getting Anderson back for the second half would give the A’s some increased hope for 2013.
Prior to going under the knife the 24-year-old left-hander made 62 career starts with a 3.66 ERA and 286/92 K/BB ratio in 371 innings.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
Dating back to 2013 he’s hit .337 with a .900 OPS off lefties.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
Power-hitting third baseman/first baseman.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT
It’s not necessarily likely, but since it isn’t a torn UCL there’s at least a chance he could make it back.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
He’s spent this season at Triple-A, batting .260 with 13 homers and 11 steals.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Time for a little Loria bashing to brighten up your Monday.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT
Not a bad draw for him, as he has owned the Twins this season.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Viciedo is still just 26 years old.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Using your closer in the seventh or eighth inning may be a good idea, but Mike Matheny says that it’s not that simple.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
No. 3 overall pick in the 2013 draft
Aug 3, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
Kaiser Carlile was retrieving a bat and was wearing a helmet.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:08 AM EDT
Ventura went after the Jays’ slugger on Twitter, but then deleted the tweets.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT
120 of the 650 voters will be cut from the rolls.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:00 AM EDT
Lots of walkoffs, lots of guys throwing at other guys and, oh yeah, the Mets are in first place.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse may have lost his spot in the Brewers’ rotation as his struggles continued on Sunday against the Cubs.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Adeiny Hechavarria prevented the Marlins from getting swept by the Padres on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
Lucas Duda has no respect for familial ties.
Aug 2, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Red Sox pitching prospect Henry Owens will debut at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday. No pressure, kid.
Aug 2, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Dan Haren sounds pretty set on retiring after the season, but left open the possibility he’d pitch beyond 2015.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
It’s safe to say the Royals and Blue Jays won’t be getting dinner with each other anytime soon.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT
Brandon Morrow will get a second opinion on his right shoulder, as his injury woes persist.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 62
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)