Apr 12, 2012, 8:08 PM EDT
Wilson probably wasn’t going to be available Friday regardless, considering that he threw 32 pitches while giving up a run on three hits and a walk today. He’s allowed a run in both of his appearances thus far.
Wilson should be a lesser concern than Tim Lincecum for the Giants right now, but he’s still not showing quite as much velocity as he possessed before running into elbow problems last year. He threw mostly sliders in his first appearance, and when he went to the fastball today, it got hit.
Fortunately, the Giants are in great position to cover a down year from Wilson if that’s how it works out. Sergio Romo is as tough on righties as any reliever in the game, and Santiago Casilla, Jeremy Affeldt and Javier Lopez make for an excellent supporting cast. The Giants also have a very good relief prospect in Heath Hembree who could be a factor come June or July.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 6
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 60
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 48
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)