Apr 12, 2012, 8:08 PM EDT
Wilson probably wasn’t going to be available Friday regardless, considering that he threw 32 pitches while giving up a run on three hits and a walk today. He’s allowed a run in both of his appearances thus far.
Wilson should be a lesser concern than Tim Lincecum for the Giants right now, but he’s still not showing quite as much velocity as he possessed before running into elbow problems last year. He threw mostly sliders in his first appearance, and when he went to the fastball today, it got hit.
Fortunately, the Giants are in great position to cover a down year from Wilson if that’s how it works out. Sergio Romo is as tough on righties as any reliever in the game, and Santiago Casilla, Jeremy Affeldt and Javier Lopez make for an excellent supporting cast. The Giants also have a very good relief prospect in Heath Hembree who could be a factor come June or July.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)