Apr 12, 2012, 8:08 PM EDT
Wilson probably wasn’t going to be available Friday regardless, considering that he threw 32 pitches while giving up a run on three hits and a walk today. He’s allowed a run in both of his appearances thus far.
Wilson should be a lesser concern than Tim Lincecum for the Giants right now, but he’s still not showing quite as much velocity as he possessed before running into elbow problems last year. He threw mostly sliders in his first appearance, and when he went to the fastball today, it got hit.
Fortunately, the Giants are in great position to cover a down year from Wilson if that’s how it works out. Sergio Romo is as tough on righties as any reliever in the game, and Santiago Casilla, Jeremy Affeldt and Javier Lopez make for an excellent supporting cast. The Giants also have a very good relief prospect in Heath Hembree who could be a factor come June or July.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (113)