Dr. Collins weighs in on David Wright’s finger

Apr 12, 2012, 10:00 AM EST

Terry Collins AP

Terry Collins, M.D., talking about David Wright‘s broken pinky finger after yesterday’s game:

“I’m not a doctor, and I don’t mean to step on their toes . . . but when they give us a final diagnosis of the whole thing, my gut is you’ll see him (play) Friday.”

Could be. But man, after a couple years of the Mets medical staff taking flak, it’s probably not a good idea for Collins to pre-guess them. If they differ on this, people will criticize them for being too cautious. If they agree and Wright comes back but isn’t 100%, people will say they were subtly bullied by Collins.

Just let folks do their job, man.

1. dondada10 - Apr 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Every time I read a story like this I’m reminded that Collins was the manager of the ’99 Angels who was fired with a month to go after the players signed a petition saying they didn’t wanna play for him.

2. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I think Jay Jaffe said it best in his Hit and Run article at BPro today:
    The Mets think he’ll be able to avoid the disabled list, but given that they have absolutely zero credibility when it comes to managing injuries over the past few years, the best-case scenario is probably amputation to stop the spread of gangrene. Then again, one could argue that gangrene has already set in via the form of fill-in Ronny Cedeno’s bat

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Somebody tell me why this man is managing?

4. dodger88 - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Each time I read about Collins I recall when he was in the Dodger organization and if my memory serves he was a candidate to manage the club before they ended up hiring Torre (or maybe it was Little). Either way, he was well regarded at the time yet it appears we dodged a bullet. Although we did end up with Larry Bowa on the staff and he might make Collins look like a pussy cat.

5. The Dangerous Mabry - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Hardly seems fair to paint him as “Terry Collins, M.D.” when the first thing out of his mouth was “I’m not a doctor”.

• danrizzle - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I think Collins’ “I’m not a doctor, but…” is about as relevant to his comment as the words “I’m not a racist, but…” are to whatever might follow it.

6. cltjump - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Craig, I am loving your new fondness for passive-aggressive article titles. Wait, it’s not new? Well, it’s been too long.

7. eshine76 - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Look at the Mets horrible history of medical treatments. I think Collins’ guess is as good as the “doctors’.”

8. xmatt0926x - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

If only the rest of the world could be as tough as Collins. I bet he really squeezes that pencil tight as he fills out that lineup card. Is there any truth to the rumor that he was on that seal team that killed Bin Laden?

9. jimbo1949 - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Multiple choice question

“I’m not a doctor, but”

a) I play one on TV
    b) I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    c) That doesn’t stop me from expressing my own opinion
    d) All of the above

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5978)