Fact of the Day: Jamie Moyer is really old and Madison Bumgarner is really young

Apr 12, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

fact

At this point “Jamie Moyer is old” facts are getting a little out of control, but here’s a good one specific to today’s Rockies-Giants game.

According to Elias Sports Bureau (via Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts): Moyer at 49 years old and Madison Bumgarner at 22 years old represents the largest age gap for a pitching matchup since 59-year-old Satchel Paige faced 29-year-old Bill Monbouquette on September 25, 1965.

Adding to the intrigue is that the matchup takes place at Coors Field, where the two teams combined for 25 runs last night. Bumgarner and the Giants are slight betting favorites despite being on the road.

Oh, and that 1965 matchup? Paige exited after three scoreless innings (at 59!) while Monbouquette allowed two runs in a complete-game victory.

1. cltjump - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I did not know Satchell Paige pitched that long.

• okobojicat - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

He didn’t. It was a publicity stunt.

• 18thstreet - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM

But he really did throw three scoreless innings in a real major league game. At 59.

It actually happened.

2. tellyspop - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I was actually at that game in Kansas City, being 10 years old. It was cub scout night and of course we sat way high up in the stands. It was definitely a Charlie O stunt. Satch was in a rocking chair just off the dug out and of course Charlie O the mule in left field foul ground lawn mowing the area . Many people ask me why didn’t I take pictures. First, I didn’t understand the significance of the event and secondly, I did not have a cell phone. When the game was over, we left in a rented school bus. We were met with a fusillade of rocks thrown against the bus by the urban folk, who were thanking us for coming to the game. It was the times we were in.

• jasonwinter - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

No phone? You could have at least brought your laptop and blogged about it :)

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM

When was the last time an age gap was met in a pitching matchup between two guys who had been as active on the roster as Moyer and Bumgarner have?

Paige had been out of the game for some time – and even though his game is unrivaled, I’d like to know if this is the largest age gap between two pitchers who have been on active rosters in recent years (and yes, I know Moyer was out last year).

4. Utley's Hair - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Jamie Moyer’s age when the previous matchup occurred? 3 years old.

5. dawglb - Apr 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I love Moyer. Great guy. I wish he was still with the Phils. However he is very inconsistent….. Can’t have that when you are trying to get valuable experience for guys like The Vanimal.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2647)