Apr 12, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
At this point “Jamie Moyer is old” facts are getting a little out of control, but here’s a good one specific to today’s Rockies-Giants game.
According to Elias Sports Bureau (via Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts): Moyer at 49 years old and Madison Bumgarner at 22 years old represents the largest age gap for a pitching matchup since 59-year-old Satchel Paige faced 29-year-old Bill Monbouquette on September 25, 1965.
Adding to the intrigue is that the matchup takes place at Coors Field, where the two teams combined for 25 runs last night. Bumgarner and the Giants are slight betting favorites despite being on the road.
Oh, and that 1965 matchup? Paige exited after three scoreless innings (at 59!) while Monbouquette allowed two runs in a complete-game victory.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 15
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 74
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)