Apr 12, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
At this point “Jamie Moyer is old” facts are getting a little out of control, but here’s a good one specific to today’s Rockies-Giants game.
According to Elias Sports Bureau (via Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts): Moyer at 49 years old and Madison Bumgarner at 22 years old represents the largest age gap for a pitching matchup since 59-year-old Satchel Paige faced 29-year-old Bill Monbouquette on September 25, 1965.
Adding to the intrigue is that the matchup takes place at Coors Field, where the two teams combined for 25 runs last night. Bumgarner and the Giants are slight betting favorites despite being on the road.
Oh, and that 1965 matchup? Paige exited after three scoreless innings (at 59!) while Monbouquette allowed two runs in a complete-game victory.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)