Apr 12, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
At this point “Jamie Moyer is old” facts are getting a little out of control, but here’s a good one specific to today’s Rockies-Giants game.
According to Elias Sports Bureau (via Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts): Moyer at 49 years old and Madison Bumgarner at 22 years old represents the largest age gap for a pitching matchup since 59-year-old Satchel Paige faced 29-year-old Bill Monbouquette on September 25, 1965.
Adding to the intrigue is that the matchup takes place at Coors Field, where the two teams combined for 25 runs last night. Bumgarner and the Giants are slight betting favorites despite being on the road.
Oh, and that 1965 matchup? Paige exited after three scoreless innings (at 59!) while Monbouquette allowed two runs in a complete-game victory.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)