Apr 12, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
At this point “Jamie Moyer is old” facts are getting a little out of control, but here’s a good one specific to today’s Rockies-Giants game.
According to Elias Sports Bureau (via Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts): Moyer at 49 years old and Madison Bumgarner at 22 years old represents the largest age gap for a pitching matchup since 59-year-old Satchel Paige faced 29-year-old Bill Monbouquette on September 25, 1965.
Adding to the intrigue is that the matchup takes place at Coors Field, where the two teams combined for 25 runs last night. Bumgarner and the Giants are slight betting favorites despite being on the road.
Oh, and that 1965 matchup? Paige exited after three scoreless innings (at 59!) while Monbouquette allowed two runs in a complete-game victory.
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 13
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)