Giancarlo Stanton is gonna have to play with pain all year

Apr 12, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT

Miami Marlins v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

Giancarlo Stanton was scratched from the lineup the other day due to some soreness in his left knee. He’s back — got a couple of hits yesterday — but he’s still aching. And it seems like that’s not going to go away any time soon, reports Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post:

But the right-fielder said doctors have not pin-pointed exactly what is wrong with his sore left knee.

“Basically, it’s the same type of stuff from spring training,” said Stanton, who missed most of the spring because of the knee.

“There is no specific injury to it. It’s something that I’m going to have to deal with. There are times I’m going to have to deal with that, and some stretches that I won’t.”

I know the feeling. But then again, I’m a creaky old man approaching 40, not a strapping young slugger of 22.  Here’s hoping the knee issues don’t sap his prodigious power.

1. dodger88 - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Tough break; Andre Either also had a knee problem that plagued him last year and it all but killed his power. He’s off to a good start this year but only after surgery. Hopefully Stanton fairs better.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM

What a shame that would be. Hope your knees get in ship-shape soon, Giancarlo.

3. esracerx46 - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Anyone else think he looks more hispanic since he goes by Giancarlo than Mike? Maybe its just me but he just looks way more tan…

• Old Gator - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM

It’s that growth of mold around the lower part of his face. Very off-the-corner. Me an’ Giancarlo down by the schoolyard….

• xmatt0926x - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Anyone else out there like me who obviously didn’t pay enough attention to offseason news and then said “who the f— is Giancarlo Stanton and why does he look amazingly like Mike Stanton?” when the Marlins came to your teams ballpark this week? Probably not that many of you I guess.

• esracerx46 - Apr 13, 2012 at 7:39 AM

It’s the Miami Marlins. Too much other stuff going on to hear about a name change ie; florida to Miami, new manager, new stadium, new players. I did the same thing early in spring training, Saw Giancarlo Stanton on an ESPN scroll and thought it was a typo

4. cur68 - Apr 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I want “Mike” back. Mike was The Iron Giant. This Giancarlo character is made of foil. Good look with the knee, Foil Giant.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win