Apr 12, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
UPDATE: There’s no deal yet. This morning Jim Bowden says that the sides are still talking, and Ken Rosenthal — who had the original report — notes the same thing, though adds that he believes a deal will be done shortly.
12:06 AM: From Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes this rather surprising late-night free agent signing:
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) April 12, 2012
It’s not clear what kind of deal Damon is getting or how much it will be worth. The 38-year-old struggled mightily to attract interest on the open market this winter because of his lack of defensive versatility (or, rather, ability), but he batted .261/.326/.418 with 16 home runs, 73 RBI and 19 stolen bases in 150 games last year for the Rays and could be a useful member of the Cleveland bench this season.
Let’s just hope the Indians aren’t considering entrusting Damon with starting left field duties.
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 39
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 84
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)