Apr 12, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
UPDATE: There’s no deal yet. This morning Jim Bowden says that the sides are still talking, and Ken Rosenthal — who had the original report — notes the same thing, though adds that he believes a deal will be done shortly.
12:06 AM: From Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes this rather surprising late-night free agent signing:
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) April 12, 2012
It’s not clear what kind of deal Damon is getting or how much it will be worth. The 38-year-old struggled mightily to attract interest on the open market this winter because of his lack of defensive versatility (or, rather, ability), but he batted .261/.326/.418 with 16 home runs, 73 RBI and 19 stolen bases in 150 games last year for the Rays and could be a useful member of the Cleveland bench this season.
Let’s just hope the Indians aren’t considering entrusting Damon with starting left field duties.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 56
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)