Apr 12, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
UPDATE: There’s no deal yet. This morning Jim Bowden says that the sides are still talking, and Ken Rosenthal — who had the original report — notes the same thing, though adds that he believes a deal will be done shortly.
12:06 AM: From Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes this rather surprising late-night free agent signing:
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) April 12, 2012
It’s not clear what kind of deal Damon is getting or how much it will be worth. The 38-year-old struggled mightily to attract interest on the open market this winter because of his lack of defensive versatility (or, rather, ability), but he batted .261/.326/.418 with 16 home runs, 73 RBI and 19 stolen bases in 150 games last year for the Rays and could be a useful member of the Cleveland bench this season.
Let’s just hope the Indians aren’t considering entrusting Damon with starting left field duties.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)