UPDATE: Talks still ongoing between the Indians and Johnny Damon

Apr 12, 2012, 9:12 AM EST

UPDATE: There’s no deal yet.  This morning Jim Bowden says that the sides are still talking, and Ken Rosenthal — who had the original report — notes the same thing, though adds that he believes a deal will be done shortly.

12:06 AM:  From Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes this rather surprising late-night free agent signing:

It’s not clear what kind of deal Damon is getting or how much it will be worth. The 38-year-old struggled mightily to attract interest on the open market this winter because of his lack of defensive versatility (or, rather, ability), but he batted .261/.326/.418 with 16 home runs, 73 RBI and 19 stolen bases in 150 games last year for the Rays and could be a useful member of the Cleveland bench this season.

Let’s just hope the Indians aren’t considering entrusting Damon with starting left field duties.

1. cup0pizza - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Keith Richards, cockroaches & Jonny Damon will be all that remain when the inevitable nuclear winter strikes Earth.

• mrfloydpink - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Since you apparently will not survive, I now find myself rooting for nuclear winter.

• cur68 - Apr 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Word.

2. proudlycanadian - Apr 12, 2012 at 6:46 AM

So the mystery team has been revealed. I bet that he will get a low salary with incentives.

3. mikeincmn - Apr 12, 2012 at 7:47 AM

I know Damon sucks defensively, but is there really that big of a gap between him and Shelly Duncan? The bigger downside I see with this is the Tribe bringing in yet another left handed bat with a line up already filled to the brim with them. That said Damon still is decent with the bat and a better player than Abreu in my eyes at least.

4. prosourcetalk - Apr 12, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Finally, Jon Heyman can sleep at night

5. latchbeam - Apr 12, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I smell a Hafner trade coming…

6. mybrunoblog - Apr 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Damon is a very likable player. I know he desperately wants to reach 3000 hits but I don’t see it happening. Going to take a while to get his timing back….

7. greasebawl - Apr 12, 2012 at 9:02 AM

It seems like every time Damon comes up to the plate he always has a quality at bat. I have been watching baseball continuously since 1970 and I am amazed at his uncanny ability to hit in the clutch. As a Rays fan, it was refreshing to have him on our side instead of watching him sink us year after year as a member of the opposing team with his timely hitting. I know that the Rays were looking for more power but I certainly will miss Damon on the field and in the clubhouse. Good luck to you in Cleveland Johnny!

8. uyf1950 - Apr 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I wonder what the hold up could be about, money possibly? I guess so much for Damon claiming the money didn’t matter earlier. That is unless for once Cleveland isn’t a place he’s always wanted to be unlike Boston, NY, Tampa and Detroit.

• ironhawk - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

It’s a business. They are always going to low ball you on the first offer. You have to negotiate. He has no obligation to take less money than they are really willing to spend, just because he wants to play there.

• agelardi - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM

What’s there to negotiate at 38? You either take it or stay home.

9. uyf1950 - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Well I guess it’s official. This appears on MLBTR:
    JIM BOWDEN
    ‏ @JimBowdenESPNxm
    April 12 @ 12:33
    Taping an interview with Johnny Damon right now for INSIDE PITCH Sirius 209 and XM 89; he has confirmed agreement with the Cleveland Indians

I guess Cleveland is a place Johnny always wanted to play in. (sarcasm button please)

10. thetooloftools - Apr 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM

What ever the Indians do, we need to extremely overpay for him like the $20 million over two years we gave Kerry Wood a few years ago.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5072)
  2. M. Kemp (2997)
  3. J. Kang (2876)
  4. J. Upton (2838)
  5. C. McGehee (2796)
  1. W. Middlebrooks (2767)
  2. J. Peavy (2028)