Apr 12, 2012, 7:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the deal is done. Damon will receive a one-year, $1.25 million contract and could take home an additional $1.4 million in performance bonuses. Nothing official yet from the Indians, but an announcement will presumably happen soon.
The 38-year-old made $5.25 million last season with the Rays while batting .261/.326/.418 with 16 homers, 73 RBI, 19 stolen bases and a .743 OPS over 150 games. He is 277 hits shy of 3,000 for his career.
2:02 PM: Nick Camino reports that the only thing keeping the Johnny Damon-Indians deal unofficial is a physical and, when that’s out of the way, the Tribe and he should be able to announce the signing tomorrow morning.
Can’t wait to see Johnny playing left field all the time. But then again, I’ve always rooted for the underdog. And the underthrowers.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)