Apr 12, 2012, 7:27 PM EST
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the deal is done. Damon will receive a one-year, $1.25 million contract and could take home an additional $1.4 million in performance bonuses. Nothing official yet from the Indians, but an announcement will presumably happen soon.
The 38-year-old made $5.25 million last season with the Rays while batting .261/.326/.418 with 16 homers, 73 RBI, 19 stolen bases and a .743 OPS over 150 games. He is 277 hits shy of 3,000 for his career.
2:02 PM: Nick Camino reports that the only thing keeping the Johnny Damon-Indians deal unofficial is a physical and, when that’s out of the way, the Tribe and he should be able to announce the signing tomorrow morning.
Can’t wait to see Johnny playing left field all the time. But then again, I’ve always rooted for the underdog. And the underthrowers.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 69
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 23
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)