Apr 12, 2012, 7:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the deal is done. Damon will receive a one-year, $1.25 million contract and could take home an additional $1.4 million in performance bonuses. Nothing official yet from the Indians, but an announcement will presumably happen soon.
The 38-year-old made $5.25 million last season with the Rays while batting .261/.326/.418 with 16 homers, 73 RBI, 19 stolen bases and a .743 OPS over 150 games. He is 277 hits shy of 3,000 for his career.
2:02 PM: Nick Camino reports that the only thing keeping the Johnny Damon-Indians deal unofficial is a physical and, when that’s out of the way, the Tribe and he should be able to announce the signing tomorrow morning.
Can’t wait to see Johnny playing left field all the time. But then again, I’ve always rooted for the underdog. And the underthrowers.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)