Apr 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
UPDATE: Goold reports that an MRI exam revealed a “minor” calf tear and Berkman says it’s “more than reasonable” for him to return on Tuesday.
Lance Berkman was able to play through a finger injury, but the Cardinals first baseman called himself “doubtful” to return this week after suffering a calf injury legging out a triple on Tuesday.
Asked if he thought a disabled list stint would be needed, Berkman told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: “If it gets any worse, then it becomes an issue. We’ll have to wait and see how it responds.”
Berkman also indicated that a similar injury in 2009 required a DL stay, noting that early season weather also doesn’t help matters. Matt Carpenter subbed for Berkman yesterday as Cardinals manager Mike Matheny also gave Carlos Beltran and David Freese the game off.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 4
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 23
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)