Apr 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
UPDATE: Goold reports that an MRI exam revealed a “minor” calf tear and Berkman says it’s “more than reasonable” for him to return on Tuesday.
Lance Berkman was able to play through a finger injury, but the Cardinals first baseman called himself “doubtful” to return this week after suffering a calf injury legging out a triple on Tuesday.
Asked if he thought a disabled list stint would be needed, Berkman told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: “If it gets any worse, then it becomes an issue. We’ll have to wait and see how it responds.”
Berkman also indicated that a similar injury in 2009 required a DL stay, noting that early season weather also doesn’t help matters. Matt Carpenter subbed for Berkman yesterday as Cardinals manager Mike Matheny also gave Carlos Beltran and David Freese the game off.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 7
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)