Apr 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
UPDATE: Goold reports that an MRI exam revealed a “minor” calf tear and Berkman says it’s “more than reasonable” for him to return on Tuesday.
Lance Berkman was able to play through a finger injury, but the Cardinals first baseman called himself “doubtful” to return this week after suffering a calf injury legging out a triple on Tuesday.
Asked if he thought a disabled list stint would be needed, Berkman told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: “If it gets any worse, then it becomes an issue. We’ll have to wait and see how it responds.”
Berkman also indicated that a similar injury in 2009 required a DL stay, noting that early season weather also doesn’t help matters. Matt Carpenter subbed for Berkman yesterday as Cardinals manager Mike Matheny also gave Carlos Beltran and David Freese the game off.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)