Apr 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
UPDATE: Goold reports that an MRI exam revealed a “minor” calf tear and Berkman says it’s “more than reasonable” for him to return on Tuesday.
Lance Berkman was able to play through a finger injury, but the Cardinals first baseman called himself “doubtful” to return this week after suffering a calf injury legging out a triple on Tuesday.
Asked if he thought a disabled list stint would be needed, Berkman told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: “If it gets any worse, then it becomes an issue. We’ll have to wait and see how it responds.”
Berkman also indicated that a similar injury in 2009 required a DL stay, noting that early season weather also doesn’t help matters. Matt Carpenter subbed for Berkman yesterday as Cardinals manager Mike Matheny also gave Carlos Beltran and David Freese the game off.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)