Must-click link: Predictions of Mariano Rivera’s demise have been wrong for a decade

Apr 12, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT

click here bigger

Seemingly every time Mariano Rivera blows an early season save the question of whether he’s finally going to cease being the most dominant pitcher in baseball becomes a discussion topic for a couple days. And then he goes back to shutting everyone down and it’s forgotten.

Until now, as Deadspin has gone digging through the archives to find a decade worth of Yankees reporters and New York columnists speculating about and, in many cases, predicting Rivera’s demise.

Deadspin: 10 Years Of Newspapers Declaring That Mariano Rivera Is Too Old

I’m sure some of the writers quoted in the Deadspin collection will take offense, but it’s really more a tribute to Rivera’s incredible longevity and unwavering greatness than anything else. He’s a cutter-throwing machine.

1. scatterbrian - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I get the feeling that Mariano’s impending retirement — and unquestioned greatness — will get him a top-3 Cy Young finish this season.

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM

“The reports of my cutter’s death are greatly exaggerated.”

3. rpb1234 - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM

That was awesome

4. ezthinking - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Just shows the crap that NY media can write and get paid for. 10 years of the same article?

What’s next?

You know, some day they will have to replace the Brooklyn Bridge. I hit a pothole there today. Whole thing is falling down. I can’t believe no one is replacing it today. Or tomorrow. Or next week.

(God I need a story idea).

Signed NY media

5. jwbiii - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Hey, Lupica! Eric Gagne is available if you want him.

6. vallewho - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Ha-ha

7. Jason @ IIATMS - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM

If only Mo could outlast Lupica/Marchand/Matthews….

• Stacey - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM

They’re like the cockroaches of NY sports media, they’ll outlive everyone.

8. syracuse451 - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM

In related news: Dewey defeats Truman!

9. bigharold - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Somewhere in Mariabo’s basement ot attic there is a very poor looking picture of Rivera.

Until Rivera decides it’s the end it’s not worth the time spitballing about Rivera’s demise or waiting for old age to over take him. Ask the RS Nation tyhey’ve been waiting for about ten years.

10. If the Shoe Fits - Apr 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM

The best part is, if you compare (1997-2001 vs 2002-2012) since 2002, his ERA+ is way better, and his control is better (more K/BB, K/9, less BB/9, HR/9), and he gives up exactly the same amount of H/9.

I love they were calling for his demise. He’s not the same, but he’s just as effective.

11. Old Gator - Apr 12, 2012 at 4:30 PM

The joy of it is, if you keep predicting that he’s going to be reclaimed by entropy, sooner or later you have to be right. So here’s my prediction: sooner or later, Mariano Rivera is toast.

I challenge anybody to find that kind of certainty in their lives.

12. Francisco (FC) - Apr 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Mo is in serious decline! Look at his ERA+ the last four years:

319
    262
    241
    232

THE SKY IS FALLING!

#sarcarsm (because I know some of you need a hashtag… you know who you are…)

13. yankeesfanlen - Apr 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM

If, however, if Mo were a Metropolitan, Lupica would cream his jeans (possibly) fawning over him

14. jkay1818 - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Funny, just the other day yahoo sports featured article was a picture of mo with his head down and it said “exit sandman” and I said to myself….”again with this?” the commenter on this post is right, one day he’ll stink if he doesn’t retire and they’ll seem like geniuses. Hell only be what by then? 47?

15. stackers1 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I believe this will be Mo’s last year. When he does retire, all those writers who have been predicting (almost wishing for) his demise, will be writing stuff like “we thought he’d last forever.”

I was sick of the “what’s wrong with Mo?” articles 10 years ago.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS