Apr 12, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Seemingly every time Mariano Rivera blows an early season save the question of whether he’s finally going to cease being the most dominant pitcher in baseball becomes a discussion topic for a couple days. And then he goes back to shutting everyone down and it’s forgotten.
Until now, as Deadspin has gone digging through the archives to find a decade worth of Yankees reporters and New York columnists speculating about and, in many cases, predicting Rivera’s demise.
I’m sure some of the writers quoted in the Deadspin collection will take offense, but it’s really more a tribute to Rivera’s incredible longevity and unwavering greatness than anything else. He’s a cutter-throwing machine.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)