Apr 12, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
The Phillies announced a few minutes ago that Pat Burrell will sign a one-day minor league contract so that he can retire as a Phillie. There’s going to be a retirement ceremony on May 19th.
That’s cool. My only concern here is that a perfectly good retirement ceremony will be messed up if, between now and May 19, Ruben Amaro and Charlie Manuel realize that Burrell is a clear upgrade over Juan Pierre and actually call him up.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (354)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)