Apr 12, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
The Phillies announced a few minutes ago that Pat Burrell will sign a one-day minor league contract so that he can retire as a Phillie. There’s going to be a retirement ceremony on May 19th.
That’s cool. My only concern here is that a perfectly good retirement ceremony will be messed up if, between now and May 19, Ruben Amaro and Charlie Manuel realize that Burrell is a clear upgrade over Juan Pierre and actually call him up.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)