Apr 12, 2012, 1:06 PM EST
The Phillies announced a few minutes ago that Pat Burrell will sign a one-day minor league contract so that he can retire as a Phillie. There’s going to be a retirement ceremony on May 19th.
That’s cool. My only concern here is that a perfectly good retirement ceremony will be messed up if, between now and May 19, Ruben Amaro and Charlie Manuel realize that Burrell is a clear upgrade over Juan Pierre and actually call him up.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 40
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (140)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)