Apr 12, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
The Phillies announced a few minutes ago that Pat Burrell will sign a one-day minor league contract so that he can retire as a Phillie. There’s going to be a retirement ceremony on May 19th.
That’s cool. My only concern here is that a perfectly good retirement ceremony will be messed up if, between now and May 19, Ruben Amaro and Charlie Manuel realize that Burrell is a clear upgrade over Juan Pierre and actually call him up.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54