Apr 12, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
Jose Contreras‘ minor-league rehab assignment got off to a rough start last week, but since then he’s made a pair of good appearances and could be on the verge of returning from elbow surgery.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Contreras is scheduled to pitch today and tomorrow, testing his arm with back-to-back outings, and if everything goes well he could come off the disabled list as soon as this weekend.
Initially the recovery timetable for his September surgery was 4-6 months, so Contreras being right in line with that is pretty remarkable at age 40. And with Chad Qualls hurting the Phillies could definitely use the bullpen reinforcement.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)