Apr 12, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Jose Contreras‘ minor-league rehab assignment got off to a rough start last week, but since then he’s made a pair of good appearances and could be on the verge of returning from elbow surgery.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Contreras is scheduled to pitch today and tomorrow, testing his arm with back-to-back outings, and if everything goes well he could come off the disabled list as soon as this weekend.
Initially the recovery timetable for his September surgery was 4-6 months, so Contreras being right in line with that is pretty remarkable at age 40. And with Chad Qualls hurting the Phillies could definitely use the bullpen reinforcement.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)