Apr 12, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Now that the Rangers have locked up Ian Kinsler to a long-term deal a new contract for Josh Hamilton could be next on the agenda, or at least that’s the speculation after general manager Jon Daniels and owner Bob Simpson met with Hamilton’s agent yesterday.
Previous reports have suggested that Hamilton’s injury history and off-field issues have soured the Rangers on making a long-term commitment to the 30-year-old impending free agent, but the two sides are at least interested enough to have a meeting.
Hamilton told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram that he wasn’t sure how the meeting went or what was discussed, but he’s recently taken some subtle shots at the team for trying to “get as much out of me as they can before they get rid of me.”
Wilson reports that the Rangers have changed their usual stance of not negotiating during the season as long as talks stay private, which is perhaps why Hamilton is saying he has no idea what went on during the meeting.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 66
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 63
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)