Apr 12, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Now that the Rangers have locked up Ian Kinsler to a long-term deal a new contract for Josh Hamilton could be next on the agenda, or at least that’s the speculation after general manager Jon Daniels and owner Bob Simpson met with Hamilton’s agent yesterday.
Previous reports have suggested that Hamilton’s injury history and off-field issues have soured the Rangers on making a long-term commitment to the 30-year-old impending free agent, but the two sides are at least interested enough to have a meeting.
Hamilton told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram that he wasn’t sure how the meeting went or what was discussed, but he’s recently taken some subtle shots at the team for trying to “get as much out of me as they can before they get rid of me.”
Wilson reports that the Rangers have changed their usual stance of not negotiating during the season as long as talks stay private, which is perhaps why Hamilton is saying he has no idea what went on during the meeting.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 80
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)