Apr 12, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Now that the Rangers have locked up Ian Kinsler to a long-term deal a new contract for Josh Hamilton could be next on the agenda, or at least that’s the speculation after general manager Jon Daniels and owner Bob Simpson met with Hamilton’s agent yesterday.
Previous reports have suggested that Hamilton’s injury history and off-field issues have soured the Rangers on making a long-term commitment to the 30-year-old impending free agent, but the two sides are at least interested enough to have a meeting.
Hamilton told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram that he wasn’t sure how the meeting went or what was discussed, but he’s recently taken some subtle shots at the team for trying to “get as much out of me as they can before they get rid of me.”
Wilson reports that the Rangers have changed their usual stance of not negotiating during the season as long as talks stay private, which is perhaps why Hamilton is saying he has no idea what went on during the meeting.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)