Apr 12, 2012, 7:08 PM EDT
Scott Downs left this afternoon’s game against the Twins after having his foot stepped on by Denard Span while covering first base in the seventh inning. If you want to be thoroughly grossed out, watch a GIF of the play over at Getting Blanked. Hope you aren’t eating dinner right now.
The initial diagnosis from the team was a right ankle contusion and Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that X-rays “didn’t really show anything.” Still, Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com notes that he was walking with the help of crutches after the game and will undergo an MRI when the team gets to New York. It wouldn’t be surprising if a DL-stint is in his future.
Downs, 36, has tossed two scoreless innings this season after posting a 1.34 ERA and 35/15 K/BB ratio over 53 2/3 innings in 2011. He’ll return to a set-up role once he’s back to full health.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 15
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 71
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 13
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 92
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)