Apr 12, 2012, 7:08 PM EDT
Scott Downs left this afternoon’s game against the Twins after having his foot stepped on by Denard Span while covering first base in the seventh inning. If you want to be thoroughly grossed out, watch a GIF of the play over at Getting Blanked. Hope you aren’t eating dinner right now.
The initial diagnosis from the team was a right ankle contusion and Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that X-rays “didn’t really show anything.” Still, Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com notes that he was walking with the help of crutches after the game and will undergo an MRI when the team gets to New York. It wouldn’t be surprising if a DL-stint is in his future.
Downs, 36, has tossed two scoreless innings this season after posting a 1.34 ERA and 35/15 K/BB ratio over 53 2/3 innings in 2011. He’ll return to a set-up role once he’s back to full health.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 29
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 21
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)