Apr 13, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
Over at Deadspin, Erick Malinowski reveals baseball’s unwritten rules. Which, strangely enough, were written down in a 1986 issue of “Baseball Digest.” I got “Baseball Digest” back then and I think they’re all still in my basement. Which, if my basement wasn’t a hellscape, I’d consider looking for right now.
Anyway, a lot of the unwritten rules mentioned there are just conventional baseball strategies. Others are artifacts of 1960s-80s baseball. All of them are broken routinely these days.
Missing: the kinds of unwritten rules issues that come up now, which are all about respect and decorum, it seems. But then again, since Tony La Russa is retired and Chris Carpenter is on the disabled list, there isn’t anyone around who cares about that crap.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)