Apr 13, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
Over at Deadspin, Erick Malinowski reveals baseball’s unwritten rules. Which, strangely enough, were written down in a 1986 issue of “Baseball Digest.” I got “Baseball Digest” back then and I think they’re all still in my basement. Which, if my basement wasn’t a hellscape, I’d consider looking for right now.
Anyway, a lot of the unwritten rules mentioned there are just conventional baseball strategies. Others are artifacts of 1960s-80s baseball. All of them are broken routinely these days.
Missing: the kinds of unwritten rules issues that come up now, which are all about respect and decorum, it seems. But then again, since Tony La Russa is retired and Chris Carpenter is on the disabled list, there isn’t anyone around who cares about that crap.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)