Bruce Springsteen to throw speedballs at four ballparks this summer

Apr 13, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Bruce Springsteen performs at the Madison Square Garden

Yeah, I know you all hate “speedball” in that song. Me too. I hate it more that people think that “Glory Days” is a baseball song. Outside of the first two damn lines of the song it’s about people living in the past. It’s no “Atlantic City” or “The River” in terms of depressing, but it’s kinda sad.  But I digress.

A more solid baseball connection between The Boss and baseball is happening this summer: tour dates at major league ballparks:

• Rogers Centre, August 24;
  • Citizens Bank Park, September 2;
  • Wrigley Field, September 7;
  • Nationals Park, September 14; and
  • Asbury Park, Fourth of July (Sandy)

Without checking, I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume that the home teams will be on the road at those times. If not, well, that would be kind of a mess.

1. jdvalk - Apr 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Whatever you do, don’t watch the video to the song; Bruce makes more than a passing reference to baseball in it…

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I really want to see the show at Wrigley, but I’m going to guess tickets are approximately $2390753490573490570453409 dollars.

I need to see The Boss someday. I have yet to.

• bjavie - Apr 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

December 1992, front row stage left, Phila. Spectum.

It was the Human Touch / Lucky Town tour, so no E Street Band. But, Roy Bittan was playing with them and it was just the Boss and the Professor on Thunder Road and Growing Up and well, well worth it.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Good grief. It’s really something that bands like Bruce, McCartney, Metallica and the Stones can out-tour and outlast the young guys. I fear my own generation in this regard.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM

This seems oddly appropriate:

London Olympic organizers reached out to The Who’s manager asking if drummer Keith Moon would be willing to play the Closing Ceremonies. Don’t realize he’s been dead for 34 years….

• aceshigh11 - Apr 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Actually Bruce’s ticket prices are usually relatively reasonable, at least compared to his contemporaries (Stones, McCartney, U2).

And yeah, EVERYONE should see him with the E-Street Band…it’s an amazing experience. Just a shame that Clarence and Danny aren’t still with us.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Apr 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Is a speedball anything like an 8 ball. If so, count me out. If not, count me out anyway.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 13, 2012 at 4:01 PM

A speedball is actually what killed John Belushi…a mix of heroin AND cocaine.

Not a good idea.

4. badmamainphilliesjamas - Apr 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM

The only thing better would be a doubleheader . . . afternoon Phils game and Bruce at night.

5. jimbo1949 - Apr 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM

How come the dates aren’t in chronoligical order? :-)

• cltjump - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Chronoligical?

• jimbo1949 - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Fat finger

6. imaginesuperbowlwin - Apr 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Craig, the reference to Sandy was (BRILLIANT!)

7. scatterbrian - Apr 13, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Springsteen is a poet and should get a pass. The more egregious use* of “speedball” was from Sam Malone, who was a pitcher and should have known better.

* the word, not the narcotic cocktail

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2848)