Bryan Stow on video board, son throws out first pitch for Giants

Apr 13, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT

Fans at the Giants home opener Friday against the Pirates got a special treat, as Bryan Stow appeared on the center-field screen prior to the game and his 13-year-old son threw out the first pitch.

source: AP

As the entire Giants team stood atop the mound Friday, Stow appeared on the center-field screen with his mother, Ann. He told Tyler, “Good luck, son,” before the pitch was delivered. The Giants went on to beat the Pirates 5-0 as Matt Cain tossed his third career one-hitter.

Stow fell into a coma after being beaten at Dodger Stadium following a Giants game nearly a year ago. His condition has improved to the point at which he’s able to talk and eat by himself. He currently shares an apartment at a rehab facility with two other patients while getting full-time assistance. He continues to suffer from short-term memory loss, but he’s made terrific progress from injuries that left him near death.

1. scareduck - Apr 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I find this very conflicting for a couple of reasons. First, the Stow beating was proof positive that the vain and shallow McCourts could not have cared less about the Dodgers or the fan experience at the park except to the extent that the team financed their insanely lavish lifestyle. Stow became a rallying point around which Dodger fans decided to boycott the team, leading to smaller and smaller crowds (the poor 2011 Dodger team didn’t help matters). But that said, for the Giants to make Stow front and center the focus of their 2012 home opener seems… divisive. Yeah, we get it, there were some inexcusable — criminal — hoods who beat up a guy in the parking lot for nothing other than the team jersey he had on. Maybe it just feels like they’re blaming everyone who shows up at Dodger games for the actions of a few (nothing of the sort was implied, from what I can tell) — but it seems like they’re twisting the knife for no good reason for something that didn’t even happen at their park.

• danandcasey - Apr 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

scareduck – your interpretation may be valid, but it is not how I see the situation. I see it as the Giants acknowledging the “feel good” aspect of his recovery. A lot of prayers and well wishes were extended to Stow by Giants fans and baseball fans around the league. The Giants were showing the results.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Yeah, seems like a nice gesture on the team’s part to me. Glad to see Stow is continuing to get better.

• skerney - Apr 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Scareduck and Dodger fans, it’s not about you. It’s just a gesture by the Giants to show the Stow family that they are in their thoughts. No one is being divisive. Showing Stow on the board and having his son throw out the first pitch has NOTHING to do with McCourt or the Dodgers or their fans. No knife twisting. It’s not about the Dodgers. It’s not about McCourt. It’s not about you

• elliotmalin - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Skerney, myself a huge Dodgers fan I cannot agree with you more. I am thrilled to see that Brian Stow is recovering and wish him an even more speedy recovery to maybe throw out the first pitch NEXT year. Maybe even in Dodger Stadium wearing his Giants jersey.

It was great seeing them show their support for the family.

• scatterbrian - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM

You suck

• eddiecrash1976 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Scareduck,

It’s better to be quiet and let others think your a complete self centered jackass than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

P.S. The Dogders who? They haven’t been relevant since Kirk Gibson hit the game winning HR against Eackersly.
      Stop spewing diahrreah from your mouth, LA has enough shitheads!

• elliotmalin - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:19 AM

I found what you just said “eddiecrash1976″ to be just as offensive as what “Scareduck” said.

Myself being a huge life long Dodgers fan am ashamed that this tragedy happened right outside of Dodger Stadium, and honestly I would not mind seeing Brian Stow HIMSELF throw out the first pitch in his GIANTS jersey in Dodger Stadium next year.

The rivalry is meant to stay on the field, it’s great to joke around and all but you are no better than “Scareduck with your comments.”

P.S. I don’t know if you remember this but the Dodgers had won the NL West back to back years before collapsing after the All-Star break behind our closer Jonathon Broxton. Losing back to back year in the NLCS against a damn good Phillies team, so your talk of “relevance” is unheralded.

Now may Stow get better and return home soon to his loving family, I hope for the best for him and all Giants fans.

• dad2twins - Apr 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Is this comment supposed to be ironic?

• larryboodry - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Scareduck…Nothing conflicting here…It is great that Stow is recovering so well, and it is beyond me how you can selfishly find fault with the very classy move the Giants made today. As others have said, this ain’t about you.

• sonoco - Apr 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM

What a ridiculous self-absorbed comment. Even if the Giants played the Dodgers yesterday it wouldn’t have been about the Dodgers. That we played the Pirates makes your comment even more asinine. I’m sorry the Stow incident lowered your self-esteem as a Dodger fan, but Giants fans are actually smart enough to not lump all Dodger fans in with the cowards that attacked Stow. Like others have stated, yesterday was about Stow and his family and that’s it. Get over yourself. smh

2. lenwhale - Apr 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Sure, he is alive. He is doing better. Still his life and his families life was ruined. I still feel sick about this.. Could have been any of us.

3. cltjump - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Seeing this was just as heart-breaking as it was heart-warming. I wish this guy and his family all the best.

4. royalsfaninfargo - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM

This was a good gesture on the Giants part. God speed Mr. Stow.

5. cruuuzcontrol - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM

This was a classy move and anyone else who says otherwise is a negative, cynical prick.

6. californiarestinpeace - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

The Giants organization gave the opening day limelight to the people who needed support and love the most. I’m not the only shedding a few tears of joy I’ll bet. And with all the likes on this page, nice to see the good side in humanity triumph. Thank you everyone.

7. SmackSaw - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM

It just got dusty in here all of a sudden. Good luck, man.

8. hcf95688 - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Too bad he decided to road trip to Dodger Stadium with his buddies instead of staying home and watching the game on TV with his then 12 year old son.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:55 AM

What a classless, idiotic comment.

What is it with internet trolls and their endless compulsion to post vile, nonsensical garbage?

I suppose the allure of anonymity, which grants people the ability to say awful things which they would NEVER have the balls to say to someone’s face, is just too strong to resist for people with certain personality defects, but it’s a really sad commentary on our culture.

• cptnew1 - Apr 14, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Well said acehigh11. You were entirely more polite than I was going to be. Thanks.

9. 49ersgiants4life - Apr 14, 2012 at 5:18 AM

The fact that Bryan stow is alive and able to talk and eat on his own shows how hard a worker he is he could of easily given up and quit on life he chose not to he is an inspiration to everybody.

10. eddiecrash1976 - Apr 14, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Elliotmalin-

Thank you, it was meant to be offensive you self centered jackass as well. This article I’snt even about the Dodgers!!!!! But just like scareduck you want to talk about the Dodgers this and the Dodgers that!!! WTF? This article is about a mans recovery, who was on his death bed. How about a simple “great! I hope the guy pulls through, it’s sad what happened to him”.
    Not sit hear and blame the stupid F!#%ing Dodgers owners for this unfortunate incident. And how this is divisive? If anything it brings ppl together.

Oh and Elliotmalin, back to back NLCS champs constitutes to irrelevance, nobody remembers the losers. Now if you want to talk relevance then let’s chat about the team that DID win the World Series those two years that the Dodgers came oh so close but didn’t make it. Doh!

• elliotmalin - Apr 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM

eddiecrash1976-

I’m sorry, you have no shame. Let me be clear what I was saying was that as a Dodgers fan I was sickened that this happened and that the rivalry should stay on the field not with throwing punches or beating each other. But you sir, are verbally assaulting others.

I agree the guy from the top “scareduck” was out of line, and so are you. I was not trying to focus on the Dodgers, I was trying to show my solidarity with Brian Stow and the Giants fan base for having to go through with this.

And yes, I can blame the Dodgers owners. Because McCourt is the one who stripped the team of it’s money and stripped the area of it’s security. He is first hand just as responsible as those who actually committed the act. If there was security there still this could have been avoided. So I WILL blame this on the ownership.

Oh, and what team might that be that won the World Series? Because from your logic only the Cardinals are a relevant team right now. How about those who won their divisions and set records? Irrelevant? I think not.

Irrelevance is your attitude towards others. Let it go and move on and enjoy the game.

Lastly, be happy because baseball season is back and may the team you support do well.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3565)