Bummer: longtime minor leaguer and former feel-good story Max St. Pierre suspended for a “drug of abuse”
Apr 13, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Max St. Pierre made the news back in September 2010 for finally getting a major league callup — to the Tigers — after 14 years in the minors. Pierre’s journey had been a rocky one, going from catcher to an ill-fated attempt by the Brewers to change him into a pitcher, and then back to catcher again.
Even rockier was a troubled history with alcohol abuse. Which makes the news of his suspension today all the more unfortunate:
Free agent Minor League catcher Max St. Pierre has received a 50-game suspension after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse. The suspension of St. Pierre will be effective immediately upon his signing with another Major League organization.
Based on the fact that he is a free agent, it’s quite likely that he was done playing anyway. If, with baseball now gone, he slipped back into alcohol abuse or onto something else, that would be sad indeed.
(h/t to Allison for reminding me of St. Pierre’s long minor league odyssey)
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)