Bummer: longtime minor leaguer and former feel-good story Max St. Pierre suspended for a “drug of abuse”
Apr 13, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Max St. Pierre made the news back in September 2010 for finally getting a major league callup — to the Tigers — after 14 years in the minors. Pierre’s journey had been a rocky one, going from catcher to an ill-fated attempt by the Brewers to change him into a pitcher, and then back to catcher again.
Even rockier was a troubled history with alcohol abuse. Which makes the news of his suspension today all the more unfortunate:
Free agent Minor League catcher Max St. Pierre has received a 50-game suspension after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse. The suspension of St. Pierre will be effective immediately upon his signing with another Major League organization.
Based on the fact that he is a free agent, it’s quite likely that he was done playing anyway. If, with baseball now gone, he slipped back into alcohol abuse or onto something else, that would be sad indeed.
(h/t to Allison for reminding me of St. Pierre’s long minor league odyssey)
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires