Bummer: longtime minor leaguer and former feel-good story Max St. Pierre suspended for a “drug of abuse”
Apr 13, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Max St. Pierre made the news back in September 2010 for finally getting a major league callup — to the Tigers — after 14 years in the minors. Pierre’s journey had been a rocky one, going from catcher to an ill-fated attempt by the Brewers to change him into a pitcher, and then back to catcher again.
Even rockier was a troubled history with alcohol abuse. Which makes the news of his suspension today all the more unfortunate:
Free agent Minor League catcher Max St. Pierre has received a 50-game suspension after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse. The suspension of St. Pierre will be effective immediately upon his signing with another Major League organization.
Based on the fact that he is a free agent, it’s quite likely that he was done playing anyway. If, with baseball now gone, he slipped back into alcohol abuse or onto something else, that would be sad indeed.
(h/t to Allison for reminding me of St. Pierre’s long minor league odyssey)
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)