Apr 13, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
Wright made it clear he doesn’t want anyone questioning his pain tolerance while he sits out:
It’s not about me sucking it up and playing through pain. I functionally can’t grip a bat or grip a baseball. This isn’t banged-up. I take great pride in going out there and playing through pain. But this would be stupid. I would be hurting the team. It doesn’t make sense.
No, it doesn’t. It’s not want fans want to hear, but in a lot of cases, players who try to play through injuries do hurt their teams in the process.
The Mets plan to wait to see how Wright is Saturday before making a decision on whether to put him on the DL. Jordany Valdespin, Vinny Rottino and Bobby Scales would be candidates to replace him on the Mets roster. If Valdespin is the choice it’d be because he’s on the 40-man roster and the team doesn’t want to expose another player to waivers.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)