Apr 13, 2012, 6:20 PM EST
Wright made it clear he doesn’t want anyone questioning his pain tolerance while he sits out:
It’s not about me sucking it up and playing through pain. I functionally can’t grip a bat or grip a baseball. This isn’t banged-up. I take great pride in going out there and playing through pain. But this would be stupid. I would be hurting the team. It doesn’t make sense.
No, it doesn’t. It’s not want fans want to hear, but in a lot of cases, players who try to play through injuries do hurt their teams in the process.
The Mets plan to wait to see how Wright is Saturday before making a decision on whether to put him on the DL. Jordany Valdespin, Vinny Rottino and Bobby Scales would be candidates to replace him on the Mets roster. If Valdespin is the choice it’d be because he’s on the 40-man roster and the team doesn’t want to expose another player to waivers.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (156)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)