Apr 13, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
Wright made it clear he doesn’t want anyone questioning his pain tolerance while he sits out:
It’s not about me sucking it up and playing through pain. I functionally can’t grip a bat or grip a baseball. This isn’t banged-up. I take great pride in going out there and playing through pain. But this would be stupid. I would be hurting the team. It doesn’t make sense.
No, it doesn’t. It’s not want fans want to hear, but in a lot of cases, players who try to play through injuries do hurt their teams in the process.
The Mets plan to wait to see how Wright is Saturday before making a decision on whether to put him on the DL. Jordany Valdespin, Vinny Rottino and Bobby Scales would be candidates to replace him on the Mets roster. If Valdespin is the choice it’d be because he’s on the 40-man roster and the team doesn’t want to expose another player to waivers.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)