Apr 13, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
Wright made it clear he doesn’t want anyone questioning his pain tolerance while he sits out:
It’s not about me sucking it up and playing through pain. I functionally can’t grip a bat or grip a baseball. This isn’t banged-up. I take great pride in going out there and playing through pain. But this would be stupid. I would be hurting the team. It doesn’t make sense.
No, it doesn’t. It’s not want fans want to hear, but in a lot of cases, players who try to play through injuries do hurt their teams in the process.
The Mets plan to wait to see how Wright is Saturday before making a decision on whether to put him on the DL. Jordany Valdespin, Vinny Rottino and Bobby Scales would be candidates to replace him on the Mets roster. If Valdespin is the choice it’d be because he’s on the 40-man roster and the team doesn’t want to expose another player to waivers.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires