Apr 13, 2012, 10:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reports that Ellsbury does indeed have a dislocation or partial dislocation of his right shoulder and will miss a minimum of six weeks. He is scheduled to undergo more testing to make sure the shoulder did not sustain additional damage.
10:04 PM: Alex Speier of WEEI.com was told by an “industry source with knowledge of the situation” that Ellsbury likely suffered a dislocation or subluxation of his right shoulder.
The Red Sox have yet to make an official announcement on his status, but if Speier’s report proves correct, Ellsbury could miss up to six to eight weeks. There’s also the possibility that he could need season-ending surgery if the shoulder fails to respond to rest and rehabilitation.
8:49 PM: According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Jacoby Ellsbury was sent to Massachusetts General Hospital in order to undergo tests, including an MRI exam, on his right shoulder. Ellsbury left this afternoon’s game against the Rays in the bottom of the fourth inning after sliding into second base and having Reid Brignac fall directly on top of him.
The full extent of the injury isn’t yet known, but the Red Sox are already preparing for life without him. At least for a little while. Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said the club is planning to make a roster move and Triple-A Pawtucket radio announcer Aaron Goldsmith notes that prospect outfielder Che-Hsuan Lin was scratched from tonight’s lineup. Seems like he’ll get the call.
In the interim, the Red Sox will likely start Darnell McDonald, Cody Ross and Ryan Sweeney from left to right in the outfield while Mike Aviles figures to slide into the leadoff spot. Be afraid, American League hurlers.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)