Apr 13, 2012, 10:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reports that Ellsbury does indeed have a dislocation or partial dislocation of his right shoulder and will miss a minimum of six weeks. He is scheduled to undergo more testing to make sure the shoulder did not sustain additional damage.
10:04 PM: Alex Speier of WEEI.com was told by an “industry source with knowledge of the situation” that Ellsbury likely suffered a dislocation or subluxation of his right shoulder.
The Red Sox have yet to make an official announcement on his status, but if Speier’s report proves correct, Ellsbury could miss up to six to eight weeks. There’s also the possibility that he could need season-ending surgery if the shoulder fails to respond to rest and rehabilitation.
8:49 PM: According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Jacoby Ellsbury was sent to Massachusetts General Hospital in order to undergo tests, including an MRI exam, on his right shoulder. Ellsbury left this afternoon’s game against the Rays in the bottom of the fourth inning after sliding into second base and having Reid Brignac fall directly on top of him.
The full extent of the injury isn’t yet known, but the Red Sox are already preparing for life without him. At least for a little while. Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said the club is planning to make a roster move and Triple-A Pawtucket radio announcer Aaron Goldsmith notes that prospect outfielder Che-Hsuan Lin was scratched from tonight’s lineup. Seems like he’ll get the call.
In the interim, the Red Sox will likely start Darnell McDonald, Cody Ross and Ryan Sweeney from left to right in the outfield while Mike Aviles figures to slide into the leadoff spot. Be afraid, American League hurlers.
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)