Apr 13, 2012, 10:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reports that Ellsbury does indeed have a dislocation or partial dislocation of his right shoulder and will miss a minimum of six weeks. He is scheduled to undergo more testing to make sure the shoulder did not sustain additional damage.
10:04 PM: Alex Speier of WEEI.com was told by an “industry source with knowledge of the situation” that Ellsbury likely suffered a dislocation or subluxation of his right shoulder.
The Red Sox have yet to make an official announcement on his status, but if Speier’s report proves correct, Ellsbury could miss up to six to eight weeks. There’s also the possibility that he could need season-ending surgery if the shoulder fails to respond to rest and rehabilitation.
8:49 PM: According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Jacoby Ellsbury was sent to Massachusetts General Hospital in order to undergo tests, including an MRI exam, on his right shoulder. Ellsbury left this afternoon’s game against the Rays in the bottom of the fourth inning after sliding into second base and having Reid Brignac fall directly on top of him.
The full extent of the injury isn’t yet known, but the Red Sox are already preparing for life without him. At least for a little while. Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said the club is planning to make a roster move and Triple-A Pawtucket radio announcer Aaron Goldsmith notes that prospect outfielder Che-Hsuan Lin was scratched from tonight’s lineup. Seems like he’ll get the call.
In the interim, the Red Sox will likely start Darnell McDonald, Cody Ross and Ryan Sweeney from left to right in the outfield while Mike Aviles figures to slide into the leadoff spot. Be afraid, American League hurlers.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 60
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)