Apr 13, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
At the end there — and often at the beginning and in the middle — Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen fought with one another in Chicago. So it wouldn’t be unexpected if Williams experienced a bit of Schadenfreude as Ozzie Guillen was raked over the coals and forced to apologize for the Castro crap earlier this week.
But nope, when asked about Guillen, Williams struck a different note:
“My standard answer is no comment, and I’d rather talk about the focus of this ball club and what’s happening with this ball club compared to anything else,” Williams said. “But you used the word compassion. I cannot help but have a little bit for somebody that has meant so much to the organization and meant so much to me personally over the years. So I guess the answer to that is question is, yeah, I do have some compassion as to what’s going on.”
That’s awful nice of him. Unless of course he was just offering the quote to ensure that Guillen is in the news for yet another day when, in reality, it seemed like this was all dying down.
Hmm … well-played, Williams. Well-played.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 23
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 30
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (113)