Apr 13, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
At the end there — and often at the beginning and in the middle — Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen fought with one another in Chicago. So it wouldn’t be unexpected if Williams experienced a bit of Schadenfreude as Ozzie Guillen was raked over the coals and forced to apologize for the Castro crap earlier this week.
But nope, when asked about Guillen, Williams struck a different note:
“My standard answer is no comment, and I’d rather talk about the focus of this ball club and what’s happening with this ball club compared to anything else,” Williams said. “But you used the word compassion. I cannot help but have a little bit for somebody that has meant so much to the organization and meant so much to me personally over the years. So I guess the answer to that is question is, yeah, I do have some compassion as to what’s going on.”
That’s awful nice of him. Unless of course he was just offering the quote to ensure that Guillen is in the news for yet another day when, in reality, it seemed like this was all dying down.
Hmm … well-played, Williams. Well-played.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)