Apr 13, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
At the end there — and often at the beginning and in the middle — Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen fought with one another in Chicago. So it wouldn’t be unexpected if Williams experienced a bit of Schadenfreude as Ozzie Guillen was raked over the coals and forced to apologize for the Castro crap earlier this week.
But nope, when asked about Guillen, Williams struck a different note:
“My standard answer is no comment, and I’d rather talk about the focus of this ball club and what’s happening with this ball club compared to anything else,” Williams said. “But you used the word compassion. I cannot help but have a little bit for somebody that has meant so much to the organization and meant so much to me personally over the years. So I guess the answer to that is question is, yeah, I do have some compassion as to what’s going on.”
That’s awful nice of him. Unless of course he was just offering the quote to ensure that Guillen is in the news for yet another day when, in reality, it seemed like this was all dying down.
Hmm … well-played, Williams. Well-played.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)