Luke Scott: Fenway is a dump

Apr 13, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

luke scott getty Getty Images

Fenway Park is celebrating its 100th birthday today, and Luke Scott was asked about it. Surprisingly, he did not take issue with the circumstances of the park’s birth.  But he was cranky about the place all the same, calling it “a dump”:

“As a baseball player, going there to work, it’s a dump. I  mean, it’s old. It does have a great feel and nostalgia, but at the end of the day, I’d rather be at a good facility where I can get my work in. A place where I can go hit in the cage. Where I have space and it’s a little more comfortable to come to work. You’re packed in like sardines there. It’s hard to get your work in. … You have to go to their weight room if you want to lift … from a player’s point of view, it’s not a place where you want to go to work.”

Scott did grant that “from a fan’s perspective, it’s probably pretty cool to go see a game at a historic park,” but I have this feeling that he’s still gonna get booed until Hell won’t have it when he comes to bat in Fenway, don’t you think?

101 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. yahmule - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Scott went on to express outrage over the decision to extend voting priveleges to women.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Mule: Are you saying you think women SHOULD be allowed to vote?

• stex52 - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I know Ann Coulter doesn’t think so.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM

That’s because Ann Coulter isn’t a woman

2. charlutes - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Red Sox fans are becoming worse than Yankees fans so I have little doubt they will boo…does that mean anything to anyone?

I went to a sports broadcasting college and every single pretend fan who knew nothing about sports but wanted to pretend to be a die hard fan went for 2 teams: the Boston red sox, and the Pittsburgh penguins. and they tweet about these teams constantly and my email gets flooded with their nonsense and its frustrating.

go blue jays!

• Utley's Hair - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Out of curiosity, when did you go to college?

3. gotampabay52 - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Tell Luke its a dump and their chicks are the dump flies

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

What is a Luke Scott?

• jimeejohnson - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

The embodiment of death just like all right wing nuts!

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Wow Jimmy. Your posts seems a little “out their.” Kind of ironic considering the point you were struggling to make.

5. muskyhunter2542 - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM

If you think Fenway is a dump… You need to see Wrigley. Thats 10x worse.

• chuckleberry1974 - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Been to both, you could not be more wrong.

• muskyhunter2542 - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM

You must be a Trash Collector

• chuckleberry1974 - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM

How did you know that?

• muskyhunter2542 - Apr 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Because you like old crumbling junk

6. randygnyc - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Aceshigh- congrats. You’ve identified the Fox News lineup. As for the liberals, they’ve spread throughout all of the MSM, like a dirty, dangerous STD.

• stex52 - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Only because FOx gathered them under one tent. They (and others) write in a lot of other places.

But that messes with the narrative.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM

LOL! Yeah…even Ann doens’t think she should be allowed to vote. Great stuff!
        But you would still do her Suzy. Admit it!

• stex52 - Apr 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM

No, and it’s not about the politics. Some of my favorite women (wife included) are right wing nuts.

Something about Ann is just a little creepy to me.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Fenway’s a dump that serves fresh oysters and lobster rolls. This pisses off right wingers who prefer chemically laden meats and cheese whiz coated nachos. Attempting a dialog with obdurate Tea-Baggers (something similar to brain dead these days) just allows them space to spew “THEIR” ignorance. Luke Scott is a perfect example. Useful idiots defend him.

7. poprox13 - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM

He just continues to show how much of a douchebag he his…

8. cupofjoe1962 - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

He is right about Fenway, it is a dump.
    Then again playing at the TROP is nothing to brag about. The Boston fans
    would fill a 100,000 stadium for opening day, while Tampa couldn’t fill the TROP
    For game 7 of the world series.

9. stlouis1baseball - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Church and Ann settin’ in a tree. K.I.S.S.I.N.G.
    First comes love…second comes marriage…then comes little Church’s in a baby carriage.
    Sucking his thumb…wettin’ his pants…tryin’ to do the hula dance.
    Sorry…I couldn’t help myself Church.
    I had a Luke Scott moment.

10. poprox13 - Apr 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM

HA! He’s not even in the lineup, was looking forward to Beckett plunking him!

11. cowboyscanada - Apr 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Yep! Its a real dive.

12. baseballbarrister - Apr 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Sorry Sox fans, everything he said was 100% accurate and true.

13. ejannetta - Apr 13, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Fenway Park…been there many times and YES! it is a dump. Some call it a shrine, I call it
    rat infested urine smelling eye sore. I have sat at the Pesky pole many times and the seats..well
    I haven’t sat in anything that small since 4th grade…David Wells said it right, when he said he
    would like to be the one to push the lever to blow it up.

14. lostsok - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I’d call Luke Scott a douche, but that would be an insult to actual douchebags, which at least have a useful purpose.

15. vallewho - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Fenway is a dump. The Trop is a dump.

16. autmorsautlibertas - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Fenway is not a “shrine” Fenway is the home of a team that couldn’t win a championship for 86 years. Boston should tear it down and rebuild the stadium while they are doing a complete rebuild of the pathetic squad of bushleaguers they now have. (Fenway is also the FUGLIEST stadium in the major leagues, and it’s demolition would be doing the neighborhood a service by removing an eyesore) They were on the way to establishing a dynasty, but the boneheaded ownership allowed Francona and Epstein to walk. They replaced Francona with a clown, and Epstein with a mealy mouthed little unassertive turd. Count on the Red Sox to snatch defeat from the hands of victory. Maybe the Red Sox should move to New Jersey where the fans bathe more frequently and are much more sophisticated.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB