Luke Scott: Fenway is a dump

Apr 13, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

luke scott getty Getty Images

Fenway Park is celebrating its 100th birthday today, and Luke Scott was asked about it. Surprisingly, he did not take issue with the circumstances of the park’s birth.  But he was cranky about the place all the same, calling it “a dump”:

“As a baseball player, going there to work, it’s a dump. I  mean, it’s old. It does have a great feel and nostalgia, but at the end of the day, I’d rather be at a good facility where I can get my work in. A place where I can go hit in the cage. Where I have space and it’s a little more comfortable to come to work. You’re packed in like sardines there. It’s hard to get your work in. … You have to go to their weight room if you want to lift … from a player’s point of view, it’s not a place where you want to go to work.”

Scott did grant that “from a fan’s perspective, it’s probably pretty cool to go see a game at a historic park,” but I have this feeling that he’s still gonna get booed until Hell won’t have it when he comes to bat in Fenway, don’t you think?

101 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Stacey - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM

He should get booed anyway because he’s an ass.

• 18thstreet - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM

It’s a shame that these comments — which are probably correct, from the players’ perspective — will detract from his overall ass-hatness over replacement player.

• daisycutter1 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Pffffft. Even a busted clock is right twice a day, or in Scott’s case, once.

Other players have said in more politic ways that Fenway is a dump compared to other parks when it comes to the players’ facilities. Even for fans, they put a lot of lipstick on that pig and it looks great, but it’s still a pig when compared to newer parks.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM

The facilities aren’t great, but Fenway is a shrine. It’s timeless, and small & intimate enough to feel like you’ve gone back in time. I don’t need some big epic 21st century stadium when I see a ballgame. Just history, a drink and a hot dog is good enough for me.

Luke Scott, go hire a PR guy or something and quit douching up the place.

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM

What a prima donna! Ok, so he is right that it is old. I would much rather go to a modern stadium too, for the concourses and roomy seats. However, once you see all that green at Fenway, it is like being on another world.

• wiseguy712 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Hey Boston Fans,Luke Scott speaks the truth.Don’t get your panties in a wad over this. You’ve got much bigger problems up there. Starting with that circus clown that you call a manager.

2. Jonny 5 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Well in all fairness, from a fans perspective the Trop is a dump. So you want a nice place to work with hardly any fans or cramped spaces with a full house cheering you on? Luke Scott should just zip it.

• Old Gator - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Sound to me like Drooling Luke is just brown nosing the Borg fans. Maybe he has delusions about playing in the Bronx some day.

• Stacey - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM

The borg fans?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM

The Evil Empire…Yankee fans…

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Stacey, you’ll get used to Gator. He means fans of the Universe

• bigharold - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

“Maybe he has delusions about playing in the Bronx some day.”

It wouldn’t be the only thing he’s delusional about.

There isn’t a snow flakes chance in Hades that this red neck moron ends up in pinstripes. We don’t have a local chapter of the Flat Earth Society for him to attend meetings.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM

You mean he is brown nosing fans of Indy Car racing?
        I mean…after all…the winner gets the Borg-Warner trophy.
        Sorry Gator: You know on those rare occassions I can’t let stuff like that go.

• pipkin42 - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

There’s at least one member in Brooklyn. Sorry bro, you guys have Flat Earthers too.

• bigleagues - Apr 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Jonny 5:

Right! And let’s face it, they’ve got plenty of room at The Slop because there are no fans to get in the way of his work.

3. easports82 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Stop asking him about baseball. More birther questions!

4. dondada10 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM

This comment is the same thing as his sideburns: just something this jerk-off said/did for attention.

5. drunkenhooliganism - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Mose Schrute’s wedding picture

• mcsnide - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM

That’s Ken Tremendous to you, sir.

• detroitfanatic - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Beet tastic.

Mose Schrute. Hilarious!!!

6. bluejays20091 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Luke scott was just saying the truth

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

YOU CAN”T HANDLE THE TRUTH! We live in a world with walls…

• easports82 - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM

And Luke Scott’s got the guns to protect those walls

7. randygnyc - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Seems like this guys only problem is unfiltered honesty. Nothing inaccurate in these comments. Don’t know why he didn’t mention that the majority of red sox fans are scumbags. It’s common knowledge amongst players.

• detroitfanatic - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:29 AM

He did. The Rays didn’t post that on their site though. All this was reposted, and the Rays dug deep, because he said all this in an older interview.

8. detroitfanatic - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I live with great shame that this man is a millionaire and I am not.

• captainwisdom8888 - Apr 15, 2012 at 8:20 PM

i add luke scott every year for a week and he hits me 4 or 5 hr’s, then he disappears again, u do that, and the millions are yours brah

9. homelanddefense - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM

A guy who plays in the Trop complaining about a historic ballpark. That is rich.

10. okobojicat - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Fenway Park is a dump. Its a total craphole AA stadium if you are underneath. Up top, the field is gorgeous. But underneath, where you walk around or to go get some food or beer, its a craphole.

I’ve sat on the monster and I’ve sat with an obstructed view (pretty much every seat). Fenway is a dump. Its looks pretty and has lots of heritage, but its a craphole.

• bbil2012 - Apr 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM

You’re wrong. The double A stadium near me is a much nicer place than Fenway.
      Cheaper, easier, and there is not a bad seat in the house!
      And the food’s pretty good too.

11. vasteelerfan - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Luke who? Must be a NYC scumbag.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I can’t wait for the day when the Boston/Philly rivalry comes to a head, and the point of contention is which city has a bigger chip on its shoulder when it comes to NYC.

• cleareye1 - Apr 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM

LA will win!

• Stacey - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Nope he’s a hick who hunts boar with a spear and who is a birther.

Nice try though.

• b7p19 - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I wish he could be the first without being the second. Hunting wild boars with a spear is about as badass as it gets.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM

But bada$$ and dumba$$ don’t mix well.

• daisycutter1 - Apr 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Dumba$$ and spearhunting probably doesn’t mix well at all.

12. js20011041 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Wow, Fenway Park a dump? They must have had double wides in his trailer park growing up.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Whoa….I did NOT say everyone who frequents HBT thinks a like. What I said was Luke Scott thinks differently than most of the people who freqent HBT. And you are absolutely correct with your comaprison to the other side of the aisle. Both sides reject opposing dissent. You are also correct in both sides pretty much sucking! LOL!
      But back to my comments in regards to HBT.
      Most of HBT’s readers (IN MY OPINION) are left leaning…under 30 and very much liberal.
      I have been an HBT fan for quite sometime. This has become obvious to me during this time.
      Those left leaning…liberal tendencies are precisely why Luke Scott gets under their skin.
      Simply put…I sincerely appreciate Luke Scott not giving a shit.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Not all Conservatives are stupid, but all stupid people are Conservatives. Some are constipated, too!

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Thanks for that tidbit of worthless information Jimmie.
        You do bring up a good point about the consitpation though.
        Could it be they are constipated because they don’t have as much shit as the “warm and fuzzy” voting block?
        If so…this would explain why they are having trouble with their bowel movements.
        One more thing…you hair is out of place.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Isn’t constipation generally due to too much sh!t not able to make it out of the exit, which could very well be closed up by pomposity?

13. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Ya know if ya read his comments and take fandom and nostalgia out of it what is wrong with any of it? The place lacks the ammenities that newer parks have that many players like. No big deal really other than the source has a history of jack-assery.

• hcf95688 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM

In other words, its a dump.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Brew Crew: He thinks differently than most of the people who frequent HBT. That is Scott’s primary flaw (in their minds). He has opinions (LIKE EVERYONE) and will state his opinions freely. He speaks from his heart. Right or wrong…he is still allowed to do this. He isn’t interested in circling the campfire while singing kumbayah. Another issue that pisses people off. He isn’t interested in blowing smoke up people’s asses with politically correct answers. Another issue that pisses people off. He is blunt. Another issue that pisses people off. Luke Scott may have many…many flaws. I may not agree with anything he says. But I absolutely love that he doesn’t mince words. He calls it like HE sees it. Another issue that pisses people off.
      Once again…I hope he NEVER changes. Very refreshing. Thumbs down if you agree!

• js20011041 - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I very much doubt that the majority of the people who frequent this site all think alike. I see you are attempting to infer that all liberals hate people that think differently than them. Well, you’re right and you’re wrong. Yes, there is a pretty sizable segment of liberals that would like to suppress voices of dissent. But you seem to be missing the other half of the aisle. Conservatives are every bit as likely to want to suppress things that they don’t like. There is no such thing as good vs evil in the political realm. They all pretty much suck.

Like you, I do actually like the fact that he isn’t afraid to speak his mind. That doesn’t mean that what comes out isn’t idiotic, but it is nice to see someone who isn’t afraid of public backlash.

• b7p19 - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Of course it’s refreshing that he speaks his mind. I love him for it too. The guy is a character. I think he’s an idiot and I have a hard time understanding how someones mind can actually work like his, but the entertainment is priceless. The people bashing him on here are just speaking their minds, which happens to be the same quality you love about Luke.

• nworca - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Endlessly repeating lies that have already been exposed is quite different than expressing a different opinion. Luke Scott is a birther. That is not speaking from his heart, it is wearing his empty and twisted mind on his sleeve for all to see and rightly ridicule.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM

You’ve mentioned Smoke and Blunt and now I’m craving my Volcano.

I have to work, Lou. Thanks a lot.

14. holliswatson - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Hollis Watson: Luke Scott is an idiot

15. zwilhelm16 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM

This guy needs to keep his mouth shut and hit his. 250 with 12 home runs this year in front of 1500 fans a night down in tampa. Who cares what this clown thinks anyway.

16. allmyteamsareterrible - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Be honest, for all the history of Fenway it is definitely a sh*thole that smells of stale beer and old urine. It’s really not debatable.

• Panda Claus - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Don’t forget the chicken.

17. drewsylvania - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM

More of a dump than the Trop? I don’t think so. But in fairness to Scott, he probably can’t remember the name of the stadium he’ll be playing 81 games in.

18. d214tx - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Yeah and he lives in Detroit enough said

19. drpompanoduke - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:07 AM

As a fan, fun for historic reasons but at 6’4″ the seats suck, no leg room, packed in like sardines, etc……

• daisycutter1 - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Even at 5’8″, it’s no fun.

I really think you have to be Pedroia-sized to comfortably fit in most of those aisles & seats.

20. pitolove124 - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM

So the racist doesn’t like Fenway? We should check his Tea-Bag credentials…

21. fightingirish523 - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Scott is out there but he got one right Fenway is a dump. Stinky, dirty, cramped, overpriced place to watch a game.

22. plmathfoto - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Did he pull a muscle while giving this interview?

23. youjivinmeturkey - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Actually, The ONLY MLB Park That’s MORE Of A Dump Than Fenway…
    …Is WRIGLEY.
    I’d Be Depressed To Work In Either Park.
    I Love History.
    I Believe In Preserving History.
    But For PRACTICAL, EVERYDAY Purposes Like WORKING…
    …Yeah…
    …I’d Call It A Big Ole NEGATIVE.
    Just Sayin’…
    -BRAD

• Utley's Hair - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

You must like the shift and/or caps lock button as well.

• youjivinmeturkey - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

It’s A Way Of Drawing Attention To THE POINT Of A Piece, Regardless Of What It Is hahaha And YES, I Do Enjoy It VERY MUCH :-P

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 13, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Turkey: While I do agree with the spirit of your post I am going to have to also agree with Utley.
      Using CAPS in perpetual lock is incredibly phuqing annoying.

24. stlouis1baseball - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Luke Scott is incredibly refreshing in today’s cookie cutter politically correct society.
    You don’t have to agree with anything he says. That is your right. It’s also his right to say anything he wants. Incredibly refreshing. Luke: Dont. Ever. Change.
    Thumbs down if you agree! LOL!

• aceshigh11 - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Yeah, you’re right…I mean, NO ONE gives “politically incorrect” (meaning: non-liberal) opinions anymore.

Oh, except for:

Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly, Neil Cavuto, Glenn Beck, the late Andrew Breitbart, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, Michelle Malkin, Dana Loesch, S.E. Cupp, Greg Gutfeld, Eric Bolling, Lou Dobbs, Neil Boortz, Michael Savage, Michael Reagan, Mike Gallagher, Liz Trotta, Rich Lowry, Peggy Noonan, George Will, William Kristol, Charles Krauthammer, Cal Thomas, Steve Doocy, Brian Kilmeade, Erick Ericksen…

But yeah, aside from THEM…there’s really no one.

The endless right-wing persecution complex is pathetic.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM

You seem to continually struggle with staying on point Aces. Probably makes it difficult for you while playing cards. Obviously, everyone you listed has his/her own agenda and gets paid handsomely for said agenda. Ratings/Interest = Monies.
        Luke Scott doesn’t have a talk show…isn’t a journalist…nor is he a commentator.
        So yeah…it is refreshing to see someone (sort of a Regular Joe if you will)…not give a shit about what YOU…ME…or ANYONE thinks.
        And before you state the obvious (Mr. Obvious) I realize an MLB player isn’t what you would normally refer to as a “Regular Joe.” In this regard he very much IS a regular Joe however. In that (once again)…he doesn’t have a talk show…isn’t a journalist…nor is he a commentator.
        On a separate note: Don’t you have a check to write…a whale to save…or potentially a glacier to worry about in Antartica?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Luke Scott doesn’t have a talk show…isn’t a journalist…nor is he a commentator.

or brains, or tolerance, or have common sense, or a social filter…

• aceshigh11 - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:46 AM

My point is that it’s never NOT been acceptable in America to run one’s mouth in a “politically incorrect” way.

Conservatives have erected this straw-man argument of this all-consuming “politically correct” culture that stifles free speech.

I see no evidence of it. There are far more outspoken conservative athletes than outspoken liberal athletes.

Look at the drastic difference in how Ozzy Guillen was treated for his comments vs. Luke Scott’s equally offensive birther tirades. Guillen is THIS CLOSE to being fired for his idiotic statements.

(and for the record: liberals do NOT admire Castro in any way, shape or form. I don’t know what the hell Guillen was thinking when he said what he said, but contrary to right-wing stereotyping, mainstream American liberals are completely opposed to the statist communism which Castro practices)

I mean, go ahead: make fun of my liberal political views all you want, but I’m simply saying that your view of reality is skewed for whatever reason.

• dowhatifeellike - Apr 16, 2012 at 3:23 PM

It’s also our right to blast him when he says something stupid.

25. spudchukar - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

When the Rays signed him I cringed. And I still do not see how he fits in with classy dudes like Longoria, Pena, Zobrist, and Maddon. Now, he insults Boston. Luke, zip it. If the 35,000 plus every night manage to survive without the amenities you champion, then I bet you can endure your thrice a year venture into the cozy confines which are so constricting.

Choosing to defame one of Baseball’s shrines on its centennial birthday. Brilliant. What is it with you and Birthdays anyway?

Orioles turn AL East on its head