Apr 13, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Bernadina has hit just .238 with a .657 OPS in 260 career games, so it’s easy to see why Johnson and the Nationals are quick to replace him, although it’s also worth noting that Ankiel hit a nearly identical .239 with a .659 OPS in 122 games for Washington last season.
Michael Morse has been shut down for at least the next six weeks following a setback in his rehab for a lat muscle injury, so the Nationals can certainly use the outfield help, but Ankiel doesn’t figure to provide much relief offensively or defensively.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 55
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 18
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29