The Phillies to sign Mike Fontenot

Apr 13, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT

Fontenot_Mike

Jim Bowden reports that the Phillies are going to sign Mike Fontenot to a minor league deal.

Fontenot hit .227/.304/.377  for the Giants last year and remained with the team this spring because there is a little known law requiring him to be within three miles of Ryan Theriot at all times.  With this move, the Phillies are making a bold move, one that could cost Ruben Amaro … his freedom.

Um, wait. Sorry about that. It’s been a long week, and I think we just identified the moment where I ran out of energy and sanity.  Probably a good idea for the other guys to take over for the rest of the night.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Hahaha. I want a descriptive explaination on how this would cost Amaro his freedom. Broken down in bullet points.

And freedom of what? There are just so many holes here.

2. hotdogfinger - Apr 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM

you had me at Theriot

3. skerney - Apr 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM

LOL! If there is any more proof needed that RAJ put all his eggs in one basket, then dropped it, it’s a Fontenot signing. Enjoy Phillies fans, enjoy.

4. js20011041 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Well, I guess Philadelphians can book their WS tickets now.

5. bleed4philly - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I have a feeling Chase is done.

6. Walk - Apr 14, 2012 at 4:27 AM

I got a bit of a laugh there. Phils will be ok though. Just resist the urge to add The riot or there may very will be one.

7. spudchukar - Apr 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM

What do the Pheelies infield lineup and the movie Dr. Strangelove have in common? Slim Pickens.

8. biasedhomer - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM

RAJ failed to address acquiring a solid backup middle infielder in the offseason. (Actually traded one away).

Phillies will likely have to make another move this trade deadline and shop away prospects for another hitter. The farm has no MLB ready bats, and will only get thinner. I dont know why RAJ does this every year, going into the season with a huge hole, and then forced to make a major move at the deadline.

Three legends off to Cooperstown