Vin Scully not ready to resume announcing, but feels better

Apr 13, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

Vin Scully AP

Vin Scully isn’t ready to return to the Dodgers’ broadcast booth yet because of a cold, but the 84-year-old announcing legend is feeling better.

Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles reports that Scully could be back on the air as soon as Saturday and returning tonight may have been an option if the weather wasn’t expected to be bad.

Scully missed the Dodgers’ home opener earlier this week for the first time in 35 years, with Charley Steiner and Steve Lyons filling in.

And as Andre Ethier put it: “It’s not a fun day when Vin doesn’t announce. It’s really not a fun day when he doesn’t announce on Opening Day. Hopefully, he has a speedy recovery.”

1. cltjump - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

He should seriously be careful. I don’t know much about his health state, but catching anything at that age can be scary.
    Charlie Steiner? -_____-
    Can’t wait to get Vin back. The guy’s a legend. I discovered him as a kid when he announced the MLB games for PlayStation. His voice has had me hooked ever since. I dread the day his voice is silent, it’s as much a part of baseball as hot dogs and home runs.

• Joe - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Charlie Steiner? -_____-

My thoughts exactly. You tune in expecting to hear Vin Scully and instead you get Charlie Steiner and Psycho? My first thought would be, “am I in Hell?”

• cltjump - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I actually didn’t know he was still broadcasting. I thought the old fatty was a bit of a punchline now.

2. ajcardsfan - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Continue getting well Vin and don’t strain yourself, we need you around; even those of us that don’t follow the Dodgers

3. xpensivewinos - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM

One of the absolute best things about baseball is listening to Vin Scully calling a game.

There really aren’t too many things better than that…..

4. randygnyc - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I watched the game yesterday (love MLB.tv) hoping Vin would be back. Oh well, I’ll check in on Saturday. Get well soon and make sure your lungs stay clear.

5. bchapman2011 - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I have always worried that we would see Mr. Scully lose a step in front of our eyes. I saw it happen with legendary announcer Chick Hearn and I felt bad for him. I have come to the realization that Vin’s skill set will never diminish because he is still the best announcer is sports by far.
    We need to hear this man call the world series one more time. Maybe the baseball gods will shine on the Dodgers and they will get to the series. If not, Fox and Joe Buck need to do the right thing and let this living legend call the games this year. Nobody has earned this honor more than Vin Scully.

• ajcardsfan - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I’d take Vin over Joe Buck, he doesn’t have the passion like his dad, for any kind of announcing ever, even if it was the Puppy Bowl

6. sloiggles - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM

There simply is no one better. I’ve been fortunate enough to hear Vin for over 20 years and he’s always been a consummate professional and a integral part of the game. The game the other night without him seemed so different. I’m not a dodgers fan, but I wouldn’t be upset in the least if the baseball gods gave him a proper send off by having them win it all.

7. xxmozbotxx - Apr 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I was having a conversation about Vin the other day with my friend on why he’s so good: He’s telling stories about the game of baseball. His entire process is to tell a story and update you on the game as its happening. Its not to drill down into why someone threw a cutter or when its better to sub in a replacement pitcher. The game at hand almost seems secondary to bringing you a story about the game of baseball.

It just happens to be that there is a game going on at the time.

“This reminds me of the time when Tommy Lasorda….ball, low and away…went belly to bell with umpire….”

Vin also knows when to let the game play out and not say anything. He lets the silence speak for the game rather than try to talk over it.

Remarkable.

And though he’s a lifelong Dodger, you don’t hear any bias come out when he’s announcing. That too is pretty amazing.

That being said, I don’t mind Charlie Steiner, I think he shares some of those same qualities as Vin… but I could pass on Steve Lyons. I don’t enjoy baseball analysis in general, I feel that its better left for other sports..

8. nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM

In the mid-1960s, Vin Scully turned this lonely immigrant kid who knew nothing about what seemed a boring and confusing sport into a lifelong baseball fan with his amazing voice and wonderful stories. With no annoying sidekick, we always know he’s talking to us. Too many announcing teams forget about the listeners and just chat with each other. He does seem to have slowed a step or two over the decades, which still leaves him miles ahead of everyone else! I wish him a speedy recovery, both for him and his family, and, however selfishly, for us!!!

9. lostsok - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I can not imagine a world without Vin. I never, ever want that day to come. Clearly God agrees, and Vin will live to be 500, doing Dodger home games in that wonderful, melodic voice.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3632)