Apr 14, 2012, 10:14 PM EDT
Indians right-hander Jeanmar Gomez, third baseman Jack Hannahan and skipper Manny Acta were all ejected from Saturday night’s game against the Royals after two different (but not unrelated) benches-clearing incidents in the third inning.
The Associated Press, via NBCSports.com, has all the details from Kansas City’s Kauffman Stadium:
Kansas City starter Jonathan Sanchez plunked Cleveland outfielder Shin-Soo Choo in the top of the third, causing the benches and bullpens to clear the first time. No punches were thrown and order was restored, though the angst apparently simmered until the bottom half.
Gomez wasted no time plunking [Mike] Moustakas when he came to bat, and the Royals’ third baseman glared out to the mound as he headed for first. Gomez was immediately ejected by plate umpire Gary Darling as players again spilled onto the field.
Hannahan was again in the middle of the fracas, this time with Royals manager Ned Yost right in his face. Moustakas wound up with his jersey ripped loose before the teams were separated.
Sanchez threw the pitch that broke Choo’s left thumb last June, so the initial reaction was not unsurprising. What is a bit odd is that no Royals were punished. Perhaps some fines or suspensions are coming.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
The Mets have lost for the first time since April 11.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
Michael Saunders should be activated from the disabled list by the Blue Jays on Saturday.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez is starting on Friday night against the Angels.
Apr 24, 2015, 7:27 PM EDT
Hamilton’s return to Texas is the best-case scenario
Apr 24, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Mets reliever Bobby Parnell won’t throw for a week as he experienced forearm tightness during his Tommy John rehab.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT
The Angels and Josh Hamilton are reportedly parting ways.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:09 PM EDT
Bonus of Tommy John rehab: more time to study for your naturalization test.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT
To be fair, the guy was being a jackwagon.
Rob Manfred was asked again about the leaks in the Josh Hamilton case. His answers weren’t much better.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Two weeks ago he said there would be no investigation. No he says the league has “tried mightily” to figure out the leaks. Really?
Apr 24, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Yelich, who agreed to a seven-year, $49 million contract this spring, was off to a slow start by hitting .200 with zero homers and a .488 OPS through 11 games.
Apr 24, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
A-Rod’s habit of destroying narratives explains an awful lot about why reporters have developed a habit of destroying A-Rod.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
That leaves Everth Cabrera and Jimmy Paredes as the Orioles’ double-play duo.
Apr 24, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
“Too spongy, slow and lots of untrue hops”
Apr 24, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Papelbon’s exclusive interview with Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
But even if it’s successful, it may not do what he wants it to do.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Allen Dykstra, who filled in for Loney at first base, is headed back to Triple-A.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Parker has been aiming at an early June return to the A’s.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
“That guy I despise got the benefit of the legal process! What a bunch of bull!”
Apr 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Gardenhire “is willing to consider virtually any position.”
Apr 24, 2015, 9:07 AM EDT
Alternative headline: Loose Batting Glove Scourge Reaches Crisis Levels!
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)