Apr 14, 2012, 7:23 PM EDT
John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle shares this bit of troubling news:
Brian Wilson structural damage elbow, facing possible surgery, possibly meeting with Dr. Andrews.
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) April 14, 2012
Wilson is expected to be placed on the disabled list Sunday when the Giants activate Ryan Vogelsong and could miss the rest of the 2012 campaign if it is indeed recommended that he goes under the knife.
Wilson told reporters that he “felt something” in his throwing elbow after making two consecutive appearances this week. He had an MRI late Friday that revealed the structural problem.
The 30-year-old right-hander had allowed four hits and two earned runs in two innings of work this season.
UPDATE, 7:51 PM: The Associated Press is reporting that Wilson WILL visit with Andrews, who of course specializes in Tommy John surgery. Wilson had the Tommy John procedure in 2003 and could need it again.
UPDATE, 8:47 PM: Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Nate Stuhlbarg of CSNBayArea.com that Wilson is now “likely” to have surgery. If it’s the Tommy John variety, he’ll be done for the rest of 2012.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)