Apr 14, 2012, 7:23 PM EDT
John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle shares this bit of troubling news:
Brian Wilson structural damage elbow, facing possible surgery, possibly meeting with Dr. Andrews.
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) April 14, 2012
Wilson is expected to be placed on the disabled list Sunday when the Giants activate Ryan Vogelsong and could miss the rest of the 2012 campaign if it is indeed recommended that he goes under the knife.
Wilson told reporters that he “felt something” in his throwing elbow after making two consecutive appearances this week. He had an MRI late Friday that revealed the structural problem.
The 30-year-old right-hander had allowed four hits and two earned runs in two innings of work this season.
UPDATE, 7:51 PM: The Associated Press is reporting that Wilson WILL visit with Andrews, who of course specializes in Tommy John surgery. Wilson had the Tommy John procedure in 2003 and could need it again.
UPDATE, 8:47 PM: Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Nate Stuhlbarg of CSNBayArea.com that Wilson is now “likely” to have surgery. If it’s the Tommy John variety, he’ll be done for the rest of 2012.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)