Apr 14, 2012, 7:23 PM EST
John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle shares this bit of troubling news:
Brian Wilson structural damage elbow, facing possible surgery, possibly meeting with Dr. Andrews.
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) April 14, 2012
Wilson is expected to be placed on the disabled list Sunday when the Giants activate Ryan Vogelsong and could miss the rest of the 2012 campaign if it is indeed recommended that he goes under the knife.
Wilson told reporters that he “felt something” in his throwing elbow after making two consecutive appearances this week. He had an MRI late Friday that revealed the structural problem.
The 30-year-old right-hander had allowed four hits and two earned runs in two innings of work this season.
UPDATE, 7:51 PM: The Associated Press is reporting that Wilson WILL visit with Andrews, who of course specializes in Tommy John surgery. Wilson had the Tommy John procedure in 2003 and could need it again.
UPDATE, 8:47 PM: Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Nate Stuhlbarg of CSNBayArea.com that Wilson is now “likely” to have surgery. If it’s the Tommy John variety, he’ll be done for the rest of 2012.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)