Apr 14, 2012, 7:23 PM EDT
John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle shares this bit of troubling news:
Brian Wilson structural damage elbow, facing possible surgery, possibly meeting with Dr. Andrews.
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) April 14, 2012
Wilson is expected to be placed on the disabled list Sunday when the Giants activate Ryan Vogelsong and could miss the rest of the 2012 campaign if it is indeed recommended that he goes under the knife.
Wilson told reporters that he “felt something” in his throwing elbow after making two consecutive appearances this week. He had an MRI late Friday that revealed the structural problem.
The 30-year-old right-hander had allowed four hits and two earned runs in two innings of work this season.
UPDATE, 7:51 PM: The Associated Press is reporting that Wilson WILL visit with Andrews, who of course specializes in Tommy John surgery. Wilson had the Tommy John procedure in 2003 and could need it again.
UPDATE, 8:47 PM: Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Nate Stuhlbarg of CSNBayArea.com that Wilson is now “likely” to have surgery. If it’s the Tommy John variety, he’ll be done for the rest of 2012.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 14
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 15
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)