Apr 14, 2012, 7:23 PM EDT
John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle shares this bit of troubling news:
Brian Wilson structural damage elbow, facing possible surgery, possibly meeting with Dr. Andrews.
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) April 14, 2012
Wilson is expected to be placed on the disabled list Sunday when the Giants activate Ryan Vogelsong and could miss the rest of the 2012 campaign if it is indeed recommended that he goes under the knife.
Wilson told reporters that he “felt something” in his throwing elbow after making two consecutive appearances this week. He had an MRI late Friday that revealed the structural problem.
The 30-year-old right-hander had allowed four hits and two earned runs in two innings of work this season.
UPDATE, 7:51 PM: The Associated Press is reporting that Wilson WILL visit with Andrews, who of course specializes in Tommy John surgery. Wilson had the Tommy John procedure in 2003 and could need it again.
UPDATE, 8:47 PM: Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Nate Stuhlbarg of CSNBayArea.com that Wilson is now “likely” to have surgery. If it’s the Tommy John variety, he’ll be done for the rest of 2012.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)