Apr 14, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
The full extent of the injury isn’t yet known, but Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that it happened during an at-bat in yesterday’s game. It comes at a tough time for Freese, who is batting .404/.424/.688 with three homers and 11 RBI over his first 33 plate appearances this season.
Freese appears poised for a breakout following his World Series MVP performance, but injuries have been a constant theme during his career. The 28-year-old was limited to just 17 games at the big league level in 2009 due to a left ankle injury which required surgery. He played 70 games with the Cardinals in 2010 before requiring season-ending surgery on his right ankle. And he missed nearly two months last year while recovering from a fractured left hand.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)