Apr 14, 2012, 12:40 PM EST
The full extent of the injury isn’t yet known, but Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that it happened during an at-bat in yesterday’s game. It comes at a tough time for Freese, who is batting .404/.424/.688 with three homers and 11 RBI over his first 33 plate appearances this season.
Freese appears poised for a breakout following his World Series MVP performance, but injuries have been a constant theme during his career. The 28-year-old was limited to just 17 games at the big league level in 2009 due to a left ankle injury which required surgery. He played 70 games with the Cardinals in 2010 before requiring season-ending surgery on his right ankle. And he missed nearly two months last year while recovering from a fractured left hand.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)