Apr 14, 2012, 9:10 AM EDT
After passing multiple concussion tests, Jeremy Hellickson has been officially cleared to start this afternoon against the Red Sox.
Hellickson was carted off the field Wednesday after being hit in the head by a fly ball during batting practice. Initial tests came back OK, but Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the young right-hander took two two more concussion tests yesterday, one at a Boston hospital in the morning and another on a computer in the clubhouse during the game.
“I passed finally,” Hellickson said. “I felt normal the last few days, I felt like I could go, I was just waiting for the okay. I’m not sure what they were seeing to even think about holding me back, but you understand what the process is and you have to wait it out.”
It’s not clear who had the final say in the process, but Hellickson also had to get approval from MLB before getting the go-ahead to start this afternoon.
Hellickson won the American League Rookie of the Year award last season after finishing 13-10 with a 2.95 ERA and 117/72 K/BB ratio over 189 innings. He struck out four over 8 2/3 scoreless innings in his season debut last Sunday against the division-rival Yankees.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)