Apr 14, 2012, 9:10 AM EDT
After passing multiple concussion tests, Jeremy Hellickson has been officially cleared to start this afternoon against the Red Sox.
Hellickson was carted off the field Wednesday after being hit in the head by a fly ball during batting practice. Initial tests came back OK, but Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the young right-hander took two two more concussion tests yesterday, one at a Boston hospital in the morning and another on a computer in the clubhouse during the game.
“I passed finally,” Hellickson said. “I felt normal the last few days, I felt like I could go, I was just waiting for the okay. I’m not sure what they were seeing to even think about holding me back, but you understand what the process is and you have to wait it out.”
It’s not clear who had the final say in the process, but Hellickson also had to get approval from MLB before getting the go-ahead to start this afternoon.
Hellickson won the American League Rookie of the Year award last season after finishing 13-10 with a 2.95 ERA and 117/72 K/BB ratio over 189 innings. He struck out four over 8 2/3 scoreless innings in his season debut last Sunday against the division-rival Yankees.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)