Josh Thole had a pretty embarrassing brain cramp last night

Apr 14, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Josh Thole Getty Getty Images

OK, so top of the second inning in last night’s Mets/Phillies game. R.A. Dickey drops down a sacrifice bunt to move Josh Thole over to second base. No big deal, right? Except for some reason, Thole decided to run back to first base. He ended up getting tagged out for the final out of the inning. You can watch the bizarre play here.

Initially it appeared as though Jimmy Rollins may have told Thole that the ball was foul, thus tricking him to go back to first base. That was certainly my first reaction. But it turns out that’s not the case. Rollins merely put his hands up to tell him that the play was uncontested.

Thole told Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com after the game that he simply lost his head for a moment.

“I was coming into second, and Jimmy put his hands up, like, ‘Come in easy. You can come in easy.’ And I knew the ball was fair. I even looked down. You go watch the video. I checked it. The ball was on the floor. And I just took off running back to first. I’ve got no other explanation.”

I’m not so sure about that explanation. The bunt was along the first base line and the video certainly makes it look like Thole thought the ball was foul. Pretty embarrassing moment, but at least he looked good doing it. The new Mets’ road unis are pretty snazzy.

1. rjheinz - Apr 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Yep. Just another day in the life of a Mets fan… but hey, good start so far. Hopefully they can keep it going with Wright out of the lineup for a bit.

• Old Gator - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Marv Throneberry lives!

2. dondada10 - Apr 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM

It was an embarrassing play, but Rollins or any other Phil didn’t trick Thole, as many outlets reported. Deadspin had an article up 15 minutes later about how Rollins had masterminded Thole to return to first.

Maybe I’m just too sensitive to the media making fun of the Mets. I mean did you see this:

3. captainwisdom8888 - Apr 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM

As a Phils fan I will hate the Mets until the end of my days…period.

…but every now and then I remind myself that these people hate the Yankees as much as i do, and I can momentarily appreciate them for that.

The circle of hate is a beautiful thing.

• dondada10 - Apr 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM

We do, in fact, hate the Skanks. Definitively not as much as we did 1996-2006, but it’s still there.

• Old Gator - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Free horrible horsemeat and Velveeta™ sandwich to the winner of the “Circle of Hate” Feelies Phan lyrics composition contest, set to the tune of “Great Circle of Life” from The Lion King. A couple of ground rules: it has to be as full of shit as the Disney song, and it must mention booing Santa Clause and Mike Schmidt and the guy who puked on the little girl.

And it has to rhyme.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Don’t worry the Brewers do stupid things also. Our SS fielded a ball up the middle the other day and threw it to first base that had nobody covering it because he was running toward the middle od the infield to be a cutoff man. The silly plays dont just happen in little league. The pros do it to.

• bleedgreen - Apr 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Thats OK. Someone (Bonafacio, I think) bunted for a triple on Opening Day in Philly. Bunt up the first base line, mayberry comes into field it, Hamels beats him there, Galvis stands between 1st and 2nd with his thumb up his ass. Hamels spins and rockets the ball to 1st… with no one there. Ball goes down the line into the corner before Pence can get to it. SMH. Luckily Galvis has pulled his head from his rear recently and been playing some really good defense.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Ha! That’s hilarious! That’s why I love baseball!

5. Walk - Apr 14, 2012 at 11:40 AM

That type of play where a player just forgets the outs or strike or even that ball is fair hppens a lot. One of the kids i coach even left the field to order a pizza. Kids will be kids. Coaching little league is something you all should do if you have time and patience to work with young players. Kinda helps me put things in perspective and get my priorities straight while at same time you can give a little back to the community.

6. schaffershokai - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:27 PM

He was thinking too much about this: http://youtu.be/7NRRrnaz2uo

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3965)