Apr 14, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
OK, so top of the second inning in last night’s Mets/Phillies game. R.A. Dickey drops down a sacrifice bunt to move Josh Thole over to second base. No big deal, right? Except for some reason, Thole decided to run back to first base. He ended up getting tagged out for the final out of the inning. You can watch the bizarre play here.
Initially it appeared as though Jimmy Rollins may have told Thole that the ball was foul, thus tricking him to go back to first base. That was certainly my first reaction. But it turns out that’s not the case. Rollins merely put his hands up to tell him that the play was uncontested.
Thole told Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com after the game that he simply lost his head for a moment.
“I was coming into second, and Jimmy put his hands up, like, ‘Come in easy. You can come in easy.’ And I knew the ball was fair. I even looked down. You go watch the video. I checked it. The ball was on the floor. And I just took off running back to first. I’ve got no other explanation.”
I’m not so sure about that explanation. The bunt was along the first base line and the video certainly makes it look like Thole thought the ball was foul. Pretty embarrassing moment, but at least he looked good doing it. The new Mets’ road unis are pretty snazzy.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (239)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)