Apr 14, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT
Justin Upton has played three straight games since being scratched from Tuesday’s lineup due to a jammed left thumb, but Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic last night that the injury is still “bothering him considerably.”
Upton hurt the thumb while sliding into second base to break up a double play on Sunday. He’s using padding around the thumb while hitting and has been held out of batting practice the past two days in order to ease the pain. While he’ll have to grind through it for now, Gibson is confident the injury will heal while he’s in the lineup.
“It should,” Gibson said. “But he’s beating on it every day, so it’s not going to heal as quick as it would normally. If he were a writer, it would heal a lot quicker.”
Upton went 2-for-4 with a double, a walk and a run scored in last night’s loss to the Rockies. He’s hitting .211 (4-for-19) with two doubles and seven walks so far this season.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 0
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 22
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 36
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 45
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL